Pool of water on adjacent road

nt00deep

I have a house on a half-acre on an elevated site in the country. I bought it 2nd hand 2 years ago, and is now 3 yrs old.

There is perpetually a lock of water where the edge of my site meets the public roadway after even a small amount of rain.

I have ignored it until now, but now that I am building a boundary wall, I would like to minimise its maintenance!

Someone told me talk to the county council, but before I do, I would like to determine whether my house/site are the problem, or is it a problem with the road.

I think the possibible sources of water are
¬ surface run-off from my site
¬ rainfall to the roadway itself and gradients are not suitable to cater for it

How would one go about determining the source of the water and possible preventive measures (be it tackle at source or tackle the gradient of the road surface)?

Would you start with a call to the county council, and if so, would you talk to the local councillor or would there be an official dept in the council that would deal with such enquiries?

Not too difficult to sort out. There is a particular type of drainage grid to deal with such problem and I would have thought that it was one of the conditions of the PP as the Co co 's tend to insist that no surface water from driveway spills on to public roads. The guy doing your boundary walls should be able to tackle it when he's digging out foundations, its just another strip to be dug out.

secman

Thanks. Can you explain what this strip to be dug out consists of, and what it is supposed to do with the water it presumably collects. In my case, the foundation for the wall is already in, and most of wall already built, so perhaps this strip can be placed in behind the wall.

There is a stipulation on the planning permission for the house that run-off be prevented, but I don't know if measures have been put in, but they don't work or if the measures were ignored. Then again, maybe the water is coming from elsewhere.

i would get someting done about this as a matter of urgency.... if this ponding is caused by run-off rom your driveway and entrance, then, theoretically, you may be liable if ths ponding caused a vehicular crash.....

Someone more technical might assist here, to my mind its a type of french drain, a soak away, the lid of it being a grid into which the water drains. It simply prevents water from your site going on to the public road. Usually this would be place across the entrance to a driveway. Sorry i can't be of more assistance, I have seen them many a time across entrance gates, sitting slightly below the ground level.

yours

Secman