Polycell Base Coat

M

MonaC

Hi Guys,

First post on this billiant website. Apologies in advance for any repetition.

We have had a bit of a disaster whilst painting our brand new house. We decided to paint over the standard magnolia which was applied by the builders in several rooms.
It was all going so well until we tackled the sitting room. On the chimney breast wall the paint came off in huge clumps while we were rollering over it. I think the plaster may have been too damp when the builders applied the first coats of paint. Now it wouldn't be so bad if this hadn't happened above the focal point of the whole room!!

My hushand then started stripping off the rest of the paint. (Against my wishes!). But you know how it is! In short the wall is now a mess as all the paint wasn't removed. some of it is too well absorbed.

Sorry that this is so long winded. Has anyone ever used the basecoat made by dulux which apparently employs polyfilla technology! If so, do you think it would save my wall?

All suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mona

Hi Mona,

Welcome to AAM.

You're unfortunate with your first attempt on your new house. I've had a quick look at the www.dulux.ie and can't find anything on the 'basecoat' product that you mention. It sounds as if you might be expecting a bit of a miracle from it tho

Did just the paint come away from the chimney breast or did some of the plaster also? Is there the option to get the builder back and quiz him about the problem?

Hi Sue Ellen,

I suppose I am looking for miracles!

No plaster came away. Its just uneven now as the original paint is patchy.
I've never had this happen before and its our fourth new house in five years - we are finally settling in one place!

These things are sent to try us!

Mona

strip as much as possible then i Think you need to leave your heating on for a few days (high)to dry out the plaster fully,then just paint over with basecoat which will hide any inperfections giving you a blank canvas so to speak.think your original problem was the plaster was not dry and retained alot of moisture .

[broken link removed] is made by ICI who also own Dulux, Cuprinol, Hammerite, etc. etc.!! I think it's unlikely to give you a perfect finish in the circumstances, but may be good enough.

You could use their [broken link removed] product to level where the paint meets the bare plaster. Alternatively, you could try to build up the level of the area where the paint stripped away by giving just that area a coat or two of a good quality paint.
Leo

strip as much as possible then i Think you need to leave your heating on for a few days (high)to dry out the plaster fully

Not a good idea to dry plaster out too quickly by turning on heat at full blast. This post is an example of what happens. Best to let it dry out slowly.

Thanks for the replies.

My father had suggested the Smoothover product last night. So, I think he and my Husband are going to give it a go at the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Again, thanks for the advice. Mona

You'll probably need to do some sanding after using that prior to painting. So be prepared for the inevitable dust storm!
Leo