poly poly 6 pair?

coppeen

Does anyone know what this is?? My alarm guy has asked me to order this as the cable from the house to the intercom at the gate? He is now on hols so I am trying to figure out the technical name for it??

Any ideas gratefully appreciated!!

Coppeen

Re: poly poly 6 pair?????????

just call it polly polly 6 pair, thats what its called in the trade, the supplier will know exactly what you are looking for, have used it myself in my new build for intercoms at gate.

Thanks secman

I did try that with Radionics but they did not know what it was! It sounds like it is fairly standard so I might just try our local guy!

Thanks again for the quick response

Coppeen

just checked with our purchaser, he says buy polly polly 10 pair, better option (he says no such thing as 6 , but there is a 5), should be able to get it in Temple Sales, O'Reilly Electrical, Kellihers etc any of the bigger trade counters.

Last edited:
Coincidental timing but today I was running around looking for the same
cable for the exact same purpose. Our electrician is in chasing walls and
when I mentioned we wanted a cable run to the gates for possibility of
electric gates as well as lights on either gate pillar he mentioned that
I'd be as well to get him to run out cable for an intercom unit at the gates
wired back to just inside the porch.

I went over to CT electric in Castlebar and they had only 2 lengths
of insufficient length for the runs needed. I phoned the electrician from
the shop and he said that he felt that cat5e cable put in a pipe
(since it is running outdoors) would probably be equally as good.
I'd say the intercom systems only use 1 or 2 of the twisted pairs.
I think the poly/poly cable has the ruggedness to allow it to be run
out without having to encase it in pipe.

A poly poly cable is just a telephone cable with a jel in it not unlike vaseline to make it suitable for use outdoors. It is not particulary rugged and should be installaed in a pipe. A Cat 5e data cable could be used for your intercom but I would reccommend that you use an external grade CAT 5e and run that in a pipe or conduit as well. Any good electrical wholesaler, Kellihers, CEF, Edmundsons, Eastern will have that in stock.

Back