Pollution and Covid 19

I was only thinking of this at the end of last week. Saw a news report that had a feature that said Wuhan is free of smog, and showed pictures of bright, clear blue skies over the city, something that is a rare sight, it seems, there.

A lot of the countries will be like that, even for a short time with cleaner, fresher air.

Is it Earth's way of sorting out the mess we've made of the planet?? Venice canals haven't been as clean in years

Now if only something could be done about latex gloves littering everywhere.........

Maybe this crisis will lead to US, UK, EU etc bringing home production of essentials - back to countries with higher pollution standards than China.

Back from countries with wet markets.

yes at the end of all this the Chinese are responsible for this global pandemic, if they were a small tin pot dictatorship they would have been rightfully castigated for the initial dishonesty and source of this. However because we depend on them for manufactured goods and iphones and because they are powerful everyone is a bit quite on this aspect

I'd like to see the recent statistics for landfill and food waste.
Reusable coffee cups can no longer be used, even if the nobody else handles the cup

Maybe the Covid crisis will lead to a major rethink on issues such as food production and supply, transport etc.
Should we really need to import potatoes from Cyprus, onions from Israel etc?
Would it be a big loss if we had to do without strawberries until they were ready to get from Wexford in the Summer?

Why is it cheaper to import P.P.E. from China than manufacture it in Ireland?

Maybe the Covid crisis will lead to a major rethink on issues such as food production and supply, transport etc.
Should we really need to import potatoes from Cyprus, onions from Israel etc?
Would it be a big loss if we had to do without strawberries until they were ready to get from Wexford in the Summer?

There are no real challenges in the food chain at the moment, so I don't think much will change there once this is all over. Shops will continue to source whatever consumers will buy and source them as cheaply as possible, so it'd take a significant shift in consumer demands and expectations to drive a change like that. We'd end up paying a lot more for reduced options, I don't think the market will accept that.

Why is it cheaper to import P.P.E. from China than manufacture it in Ireland?

All the same macro economic reasons it's cheaper to manufacture pretty much everything there.

Back