Polling stations ,the costs

I think we should bring in electronic voting machines. That will help cut costs.

Now where do we find such a thing.............

With the added bonus that EU treaties would always pass at the first time of asking ;-)

notices in social welfare offices.

I believe I am relatively well-informed but was not aware of any national campaign to seek applications for such positions.

How would one then decide who gets to work the elections ? There is quite a bit of responsibility involved. Do you think everybody on social welfare should be entitled to apply so ? Hold interviews for the positions ? Thats creating alot of work for the understaffed sherriffs offices around the country. Its common sense if there is an election coming up to write a letter to apply to work with the election.

How are the existing 'candidates' evaluated ?

A minimum level of education ?
Garda clearance ?
No political affiliations ?
Certificate of tax compliance ?
Member of same club as someone with influence ?
Member of union ?
Family relation ?
Next-door neighbour ?

Or do they just take anyone who shows an interest ?

I honestly believe its anybody who expresses an interest, i really dont know if they do background checks, To be fair it should be done on degree level education and garda clearance.

Do you think everybody on social welfare should be entitled to apply so ?
Of course! Why not?
It's hardly the most stressful of jobs. If the positions are oversubscribed, then the pay should be reduced accordingly.

To be fair it should be done on degree level education and garda clearance.
Chortle!

I honestly believe its anybody who expresses an interest, i really dont know if they do background checks, To be fair it should be done on degree level education and garda clearance.

Why would you need a degree to be a polling clerk?

I agree with a previous poster. The work involved in advertising the positions, sorting through thousands of applications and then interviewing shortlisted candidates would be disproportionate for one day's work.

I was using it as an example if everybody on SW decided to apply for election work. It was me that made the point about the work involved in shortlisting ect...

Another benefit of dictatorship is that we dont have to incur such costs. And anyone who complains can be dealt with promptly in an efficient manner

I voted No the last time. Why should I vote Yes this time? I did all the research.
Voting against the government is an added bonus.

I don't care how people vote, it's the rationale behind the vote that I was commenting on.

Is there an outcry from the unemployed on this issue? Why should people who have been doing a good job be asked to step aside because someone else needs the money. It's too simplistic to say that certain jobs should be earmarked for the unemployed.
Sitting on your backside for a few hours is what many people do in their day jobs, most of them don't do it for 13/14 hours.

A neighbour of mine will be working in our polling station tomorrow. Works for a local authority and being given the day off, but being paid on the double - by the local authority and for working in the polling station.

I would have thought that it would be more cost effective for the local authorities just to allocate their admin staff to the polling stations on elections days, paying them their normal salary and saving the taxpayer the cost of "employing" people to do this job who are probably local authority workers anyway who have been given the day off.

Local Authoritys dont run the polls so they cannot allocate staff. And i very much doubt they have been given the day off to do it, they have used annual leave.