Polling cards - who registers you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorfBank

I moved house recently and last week received my polling card which had my correct surname but incorrect first name. My wife also received hers.

Polling cards with my correct name also arrived at my parents address (in the same voting area) so I have two votes.

Neither I nor the missus have registered at our new address yet so just wondering who can do it on our behalf?

Did you request a bin from your local council? When I did it, they put my name in the dail register which was quite annoying since i cannot vote as I am not Irish

You can register yourself. There's a form to fill in. A few years ago I did a door to door job, checking the electoral register for Fingal CC. It struck me as being a bit hit and miss. You have to rely on people being honest. It would be very easy to have more than one vote as you do.

I know you can register yourself but this time I didn't as have just moved in. Somebody else registered on my behalf, I would like to know who can do this? Is skullduggery by one of the parties afoot or am I just being cynical? 2 parties sent bumf to me at my home address using the wrong first name. I have checked the register but there is no record of me at my address..

No record of you at your address ? Curious. Are you sure you exist ?

z

Before the last general election an employee of my local council called to my neighbour's door checking the electoral roll. We weren't there (on honeymoon as a matter of fact) and my neighbour gave our name details to the employee. The neighbour thought he was doing me a big favour by registering me on the roll as Mrs X when in fact I had no ID in that name. As it happens I still don't and my passport is in my maiden name.

To vote I need to bring my marriage cert along with my passport.

Basically the employees of the local authority can check with neighbours as they go around and you're not there. It's your responsibility to check that the information held on the register is correct.

Thanks GreenQueen that makes sense. The same thing happened to us, my wife's voting card is in her married name too, at least they got her first name right though.
Neither of us are registered on checktheregister.ie though..

Status
Not open for further replies.