Politicians: "Supermarkets should not charge customers for their shopping for 6 months"

No, that's how you close businesses and ruin people's futures. If you want people to be better paid then you train them so that they are more skilled and their labour is worth more. The movement of capital to the developing world over the last 30 years has lifted 4 billion people out of abject poverty. My concern for poor people stretched beyond my national border and people who look like me.
Of course multinational corporations and their owners should pay way more tax but in Ireland "the rich", people who earn very high wages, are already paying massive amounts of tax and carrying the rest of us.
Unions protect the haves from the have-nots and encourage waste and low standards. They encourage protectionism and trade barriers which cause untold suffering around the world. At home they bully and coerce people into submission who have the temerity to speak their own mind.
The Unions in the health sector are the reason people die on trolleys etc. Their leaders have blood on their hands.
They are despicable contemptible self serving parasites, a cancer on Irish society so no, I wouldn't join a Union.

Whilst I enjoy your anti-public sector rants, and your hatred of trade unions, I will rest easy.

On your own you won't achieve anything. The Trade Union movement has achieved huge benefits for all Irish workers, including you.
So, annual leave, sick leave, pensions, the five day week, overtime rates, the minimum wage, Bank Holidays, holiday pay, health and safety in the workplace, a range of other stuff that we all take for granted. Vast majority of those gains were achieved in the face of right wing opposition and business leaders, who told us it was unaffordable and would cost jobs.

Really? The statistics don't bear that out, especially in healthcare.

Ireland has room for improvement, but it's doing ok in healthcare outcomes, across a range of disease and illnesses. The public system is very good at primary healthcare management and access to hospitals is reasonable. My experience of the Irish healthcare system, as someone who has worked in NHS and HSE, is that Ireland has a healthcare workforce which is very adaptable, flexible and extremely hard working.
Can things get better? Of course, they can and the unions in Ireland work very closely with govt, (perhaps too closely)
During the financial crisis, public sector workers took significant wage cuts, increased hours, reduced sick pay and reduced holiday entitlement. That was union negotiated and is unprecedented across Europe.

Whilst I enjoy your anti-public sector rants, and your hatred of trade unions, I will rest easy.

On your own you won't achieve anything. The Trade Union movement has achieved huge benefits for all Irish workers, including you.
So, annual leave, sick leave, pensions, the five day week, overtime rates, the minimum wage, Bank Holidays, holiday pay, health and safety in the workplace, a range of other stuff that we all take for granted. Vast majority of those gains were achieved in the face of right wing opposition and business leaders, who told us it was unaffordable and would cost jobs.
I agree. They did a great job 80 years ago when they represented low paid working people. Now they represent the will paid and powerful and gain unjustified benefits at the expense of low paid working people. It's like the last few pages of Animal Farm.

Ireland has room for improvement, but it's doing ok in healthcare outcomes, across a range of disease and illnesses. The public system is very good at primary healthcare management and access to hospitals is reasonable. My experience of the Irish healthcare system, as someone who has worked in NHS and HSE, is that Ireland has a healthcare workforce which is very adaptable, flexible and extremely hard working.
Can things get better? Of course, they can and the unions in Ireland work very closely with govt, (perhaps too closely)
During the financial crisis, public sector workers took significant wage cuts, increased hours, reduced sick pay and reduced holiday entitlement. That was union negotiated and is unprecedented across Europe.

Have a reda of this.
Page 9 highlights that we spend 20% more than the OECD average, adjusted for purchasing power, despite having a very young population, We have fewer doctors and nurses in the healthcare system but because they are so well paid we spend more than average on wages. Of course the people who choose to mispreresnet the facts say that we spend below average per capita as a percentage of GDP, knowing that our GPD is grossly inflated and spending per capita as a percentage of GNI is a much fairer and better measure.
Basically we spend more than anyone else when our demographics are taken into account and we get an alright service once you wan wait for a year to get seen. In short we get really bad value for money.

Reactions: Leo
Back