Political corruption

Duke of Marmalade

Frankly I'm in a state of shock. First we have Troy and English not declaring their properties. Next we have Saint Paschal not declaring a grand spent on election posters. But to learn that a British Prime Minister no less has been caught red handed, in broad daylight, on video, not wearing a rear seat belt is almost too much to take. :eek:

Frankly I'm in a state of shock. First we have Troy and English not declaring their properties. Next we have Saint Paschal not declaring a grand spent on election posters. But to learn that a British Prime Minister no less has been caught red handed, in broad daylight, on video, not wearing a rear seat belt is almost too much to take. :eek:
Boris had sabotaged the rear selt belt though. Wasn't his fault.

Don't forget it also took the Shinners at least 3 goes to add up and complete their submission correctly. Bodes well for running the nations finances in a few years

Waterford Whispers on the ball...

I now seems that SF were also guilty of this corruption - that is hard to believe.
ah now - theirs's was simply an "oversight" even though their totals comes to almost €10,000 including the polling payment "oversight"

When it involves a smaller amount of money and a genuine error, but involving FG or FF, its "corruption" in the sf playbook.

But but but ... SF immediately correct their "mistakes" when they were pointed out .... repeatedly!
The rank hyprocisy and the amount of Dail time spent on this just highlights what a dirty business politics is. Meanwhile crisis after crisis rumbles on outside the chambers. Of course the media have a lot to answer for too, spending equally ridiculous amounts of time covering this non story (they are also still posting photographers at the gates of Wilson Hospital school for another story that they just can't move away from!).

I for one am glad that this is the level of "corruption" uncovered from the governing party!

That said there is a danger of the Irish attitude to the rules creeping in here. "Sure look it, its only a grand". It's not too long ago that you could get your penalty points cancelled if you played GAA with the Super, before that you could get a state board/UN position if you were a mate of pol and before that, you could get your land rezoned with a brown envelope. So the more Paschal gets hammered, the better they all will abide by rules. It's only with high standards that the scourge of pols glorifying the murderers of Guards, soldiers and innocents are removed as representatives of the people.

I for one am glad that this is the level of "corruption" uncovered from the governing party!

That said there is a danger of the Irish attitude to the rules creeping in here. "Sure look it, its only a grand". It's not too long ago that you could get your penalty points cancelled if you played GAA with the Super, before that you could get a state board/UN position if you were a mate of pol and before that, you could get your land rezoned with a brown envelope. So the more Paschal gets hammered, the better they all will abide by rules. It's only with high standards that the scourge of pols glorifying the murderers of Guards, soldiers and innocents are removed as representatives of the people.
I’d agree that not even low-level breaches of the rules should be tolerated. Once the boundaries of what should be allowed become open to judgement, the door is open to corrupt practices.

That said, any official response should be proportional. O’Donahoe deserves his knuckles rapped to an extent that persuades him and others to conduct matters properly. But he’s no Liam Lawlor and he shouldn’t be treated like one either.

I’d agree that not even low-level breaches of the rules should be tolerated. Once the boundaries of what should be allowed become open to judgement, the door is open to corrupt practices.

That said, any official response should be proportional. O’Donahoe deserves his knuckles rapped to an extent that persuades him and others to conduct matters properly. But he’s no Liam Lawlor and he shouldn’t be treated like one either.
Need to be seen to be above board.

If you look at how they get white collar criminals in the US, a lot of the time it's the cover-up \ obstruction they are charged with in concealing \ destroying evidence of the original offence. If you look for the actual original evidence you'll almost never find it.

If I were a politician I would deliberately get a parking fine or a fine for using a mobile phone or not using a rear seat belt. To have Mary Lou (possibly just back from an IRA funeral) on TV ranting about how you are threatening the very edifice of democracy with your corruption would seriously backfire, as it has with Saint Paschal who comes out of this with Josephine public cracking sarky and not very funny jokes about how wicked he his, not that I would engage in such tomfoolery.

But but but ... SF immediately correct their "mistakes" when they were pointed out .... repeatedly!
Pascal was wrong but nobody died, which is more than can be said about the stuff the Shinners are accused of.
The rank hyprocisy and the amount of Dail time spent on this just highlights what a dirty business politics is. Meanwhile crisis after crisis rumbles on outside the chambers. Of course the media have a lot to answer for too, spending equally ridiculous amounts of time covering this non story (they are also still posting photographers at the gates of Wilson Hospital school for another story that they just can't move away from!).
My problem with the media is that they are competing with Twitter in catastrophising every problem we have. The breathless reporting of the latest “crisis” is cringeworthy at best. There was a time when the objective of an editor and editorial board was to report factual information in a manner that was as balanced as possible. Not they are driven by now many times their content will be viewed, liked and retweeted as they fight a rearguard action against social media.
Professional journalism is disappearing into the void and not we can read a copy and paste of yesterday’s Guardian, Telegraph, FT and Reuters in the Indo or glorified Chick-Lit “I just feel” whining in the Irish Times.

According to Transparency International we are the 10th least corrupt country in the world.
Having travelled and done business in a number of European countries and in a good few US States I think that's about right. If you think Ireland is corrupt you haven't travelled. If you think we have a high level of political corruption relative to other countries then you are wilfully ignorant.

The irony of this is that an awful lot of the corruption in this country is from people who pay cash to get something done. We've probably all got a quote from a tradesman and been told it's "x" or "y" in cash or asked for a price and a price for cash.

According to Transparency International we are the 10th least corrupt country in the world.
Having travelled and done business in a number of European countries and in a good few US States I think that's about right. If you think Ireland is corrupt you haven't travelled. If you think we have a high level of political corruption relative to other countries then you are wilfully ignorant.
Wilfully? That’s a bit harsh.

I think we have a bigger problem with clientism \ insiderism than outright corruption, not necessarily money changing hands but person X being able to shortcut the bureaucracy every else has to wade through through influence \ contacts \ relationships.

I think we have a bigger problem with clientism \ insiderism than outright corruption, not necessarily money changing hands but person X being able to shortcut the bureaucracy every else has to wade through through influence \ contacts \ relationships.
I don't. In comparison to America we have far far less of that. I do think we have a high level of structural incompetence within much of the State Sector in that the we are bad at running things but we don't have the layers of bureaucracy that America has. I don't know if the same if true in the UK or other Northern European countries.

Back