Poles for fence

Abbica

Hi, does anyone know were I would buy wooden or concrete poles, whichever is more economical for our perimeter, anywhere in the leinster region. Actually, I would prefer wooden.
I have the chicken wire bought (bargain from ebay) which I plan to attach myself but a fencing man told us that it would cost €8 per pole to stick into the ground. Could I do this myself or how would I go about this? Budget is blown for the house so cheap and cheerful??

Depends on length/width etc - you should be able to get a wooden 1M high (about 15cm wide) pole with pointed tip for about €4 each. Check builders providers rather than e.g. hardware shops.

Or check Farm shops like Quinns in Naas, I buy all my fencing there and they are a lot cheaper than either Builders Providers or DIY stores.

Chicken wire is great for keeping chickens fenced in but not much good for anything else. What is the purpose of the fence?

It is easy enough to build a fence but what you use really depends on what the fence is for, stockproof, visual impact, privacy etc...

Hi, the fence is for a few things. We were given an acre of a field as a present from the in laws:cool: so our house is just sitting there, totally exposed which I would eventually like to seclude a good bit, so laurels or something along those lines with trees spread along it also.
Also, the father has cows fenced off with electric wire a good distance from our house, so he needs the preimeter put up as in two weeks because he wants to let his cows onto the grass near our house that hasn't been eaten in ages. We don't want to put him out so we need a fence put up for him now but we don't have the money but I don't want an eye sore either, hence chicken wire idea with a few poles? What do you think?

I'd say the cattle will find the chicken wire very tasty!!!. You are going to need something much more substantial to keep livestock fenced. I would suggest 5" round stakes at 8' centres with at least four rows of barbed wire. A row of electric wire fixed to that will keep most livestock at bay. Your budget might take a hammering but apart from digging a moate it is the only way.

Edit: Oh, and cattle love to eat new laurel hedge so when you plant it make sure the cattle cant reach over the fence to get at it.

thanks Squire, was thinking about the cows getting to the laurels, I wouldn't mind but we planted 5 small chestnut trees and they have vanished. We are assuming it is rabbits?? I suppose the 150metres worth of chicken wire might get some use for our new plants in the future then, all 2,000 of them if we are to get our monies worth!!

Back