Pocket Doors

kimkim

Hi,

I am planning on putting double doors between my sittingroom and diningroom and since space is an issue I am considering pocket doors (doors that slide back into the wall cavity). Does anyone know of anywhere that supplies and fits these doors?

Thanks,

Kimkim

i could be wrong here, but wouldnt that mean the complete removal of your wall, and the rebuild to include the 'cavity' for the doors to slide into?

Apparently you have to remove part of the wall each side of the doors to install the runner etc.

Apparently you have to remove part of the wall each side of the doors to install the runner etc.
If it's a solid block wall then surely the work is more involved? If it's a studded partition then perhaps it can be more easily rejigged to leave the "pocket" for the doors to slide into?

If it's a solid block wall then surely the work is more involved? If it's a studded partition then perhaps it can be more easily rejigged to leave the "pocket" for the doors to slide into?

The wall in question is a partition wall, so presumably would mean less work. This is what I'm trying to find out...

oh i seen a show recently on rte where he did that (the one where you pay and they do up your house) it looked lovely

The wall used to house the sliding door inevitably ends up being thicker that the original wall, usually more than twice the thickness. So be sure you are prepared to lose this much space in the rooms involved.
Leo

Yeah, they look great, and save lot on space compared to hinged doors. However, they don't seem to be very popular, there are suppliers in the UK alright, but they don't ship to Ireland. Maybe I'll check out the RTE website, I might be able to get some info from the programme you saw. Thanks!

Oh, I didn't know that about the thickness of the wall ... well that would defeat the purpose of putting them in then wouldn't it?!

Oh, I didn't know that about the thickness of the wall ... well that would defeat the purpose of putting them in then wouldn't it?!
Not necessarily - the space "lost" or unusable due to the swing of hinged doors is probably a lot more.

not necessarliy....

the pocket door system usually is only 40-60mm wider than a traditional stud partition....
check your kit to see what width your sliding frame is and allow 40mm extra for the finished width of your wall....

as it probably will be wider than your existing wall its a better idea to remove the whole wall.... make sure its not a load bearing partition....

I have often come across these in houses that we work on. A stud partition is put up on the other side of the doors, basically you end up with a block wall / doors/ stud wall or stud wall / doors /stud wall.

Usually a 'henderson sliding gear track' is fitted to the top and usually the bottom as well to carry the doors. When we are making the doors to suit we make the styles on the wall side aprox 2" wider than the centre ones so that when your door is closed it appears that you are seeing all the door as some of the door remains hidden behind the wall. I have seen some builders put rubbers/brushes strips on the inside of the edge of the stud so that it covers the gap that is required for the track and doors to travel and I am sure it would also stop a draught.

You can get a ring type fitting that fits flush in the side of the door to pull it out of the open position. I always think that they are very classy.

There is more work involved than I realised, taking the whole wall down is quite drastic. Thanks very much for the info, its been very helpful.

If you've a masonry wall, you don't take down anything. You simply built a 'false' stud wall on the side the door is hung, and mount the door unit between. You're going to lose very little, in the scheme of things, space wise.

I have 3 on order from Germany at the moment. One such site is this: http://www.koehnlein-tueren.de/1.0.html?&no_cache=1