PM:*username* has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed....

Smashbox

Someone PM'd me, so I was replying to them and got this message :

*username* has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove *username* from the recipient list and send the message again.

Can someone tell me what thats about? I didn't even know you could chose NOT to recieve PMs.

Am kinda confused!

Re: Question about PM's please!

Probably! They don't have many posts (-50ish) so I dunno that they'd know how to do that! Someone nice had to explain to me how to put someone on the ignore list!

Someone PM'd me, so I was replying to them and got this message :

Can someone tell me what thats about? I didn't even know you could chose NOT to recieve PMs.

Am kinda confused!

Click on your name top right where it says "Welcome Smashbox" and go in to user cp > go down to settings and options > edit options > messages and notification > enable or disable private messaging.

If you go to User CP>Login & Privacy, there's a number of options about email, PMs and so on - have a look I can't remember all the details.

If someone decides to disable PMs or email (or if the mods disable it) there's not a lot can be done.

Last edited:

Probably! They don't have many posts (-50ish) so I dunno that they'd know how to do that! Someone nice had to explain to me how to put someone on the ignore list!

Do you have an ignore list? how celeb like :D

Do you have an ignore list? how celeb like :D

I do actually!

Yes, I'm a celeb... get me outta here!

How would they know to disengage the pm's if they don't understand it! You don't activate them so you'd have to go in to stop them. Ah well.

I figured it out!

After the user sent me a message....

....... THEY WERE BANNED!

So thats why I couldnt PM them...!

I often wondered did people actually use that ignore thingy. Does that mean you dont see posts from that person at all. I dont know if that would be helpful because you are missing out on a large piece of the discussion.

And if someone else quotes part of a post from an ignored person, can you see it then.

Also noticed there is a fair few posters getting banned recently too!

Why are they getting banned? Who is banning them? Is there not an intellectual property scenario of same? Some of the "banned' were lively contributors and I did not read any blasphemous scribbles.

Why are they getting banned? ...
It's probably fair to guess at a breach of one or more of the posting guidelines (link at the top of the page), or an accumulation of "penalty points".

These same posting guidelines also make it clear that banning, censure or other decisions taken by the moderators are not up for general discussion. If you don't like the posting guidelines or the mods / owner's decisions, then maybe this is not the site for you (I'm not a mod, more of a rapidly ageing rocker :)).
... Who is banning them? ...
The moderators, presumably.
... Is there not an intellectual property scenario of same? ...
I don't understand this.
... Some of the "banned' were lively contributors ...
No doubt they were and probably are in other forums.
... and I did not read any blasphemous scribbles.
Blasphemy may or may not be in breach of the posting guidelines, depending on the context.

Thanks for that mathepac. I will watch my Ps and Qs even more ardently than before. Any mitigation for over 55s?

I have one person on my ignore list, after they sent a couple of nasty pms!

You dont see any posts of theirs, which I was happy about.

This was a completly different user, one whom I had questioned in a post. They replied to me, completly nice nothing bad at all, and when I replied they had been banned. I believe it was to do with some racist words they were using, which they had explained about in the PM.

The person who I was ignoring got at other users too!

Re: PM:*username* has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed...

I got a threatening PM once, I reported it to the mods and that person was banned. Nothing to stop a person coming back on here with a different name I suppose. I think some banned people can still post if they keep within the rules.

Re: PM:*username* has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed...

I might have one or two "ignored" people, if I did it would have been because they sent me unsolicited PM's. Last one I got was someone asking if I had a job in IT :confused: sent a few hours after I posted the happy news that Mr Bubbly had secured a contract in this sector.

I wouldn't "ignore" someones posts though, some people get right up my nose but that same nose is...er...nosey and I want to see what everyone is saying.

Come to think of it, no one ever sends me PM's anyway so I can't afford to be that picky :eek::D

I think some banned people can still post if they keep within the rules.

No, they can't.

Although existing posts that don't breach guidelines are not removed.

Back