Plywood over tiles?

Petal

Hi,
I want to put down a lino as I don't like the tiles I have in the kitchen. removed all kitchen furniture and found that some tiles are missing on the side. Someone suggested we put down self-levelling compound and also over the tiles so the tile pattern won't come through the lino. But now I'm thinking the easiest would be to probably just put plywood over the entire surface and just fill in the sposts where tiles are missing.
Is there any reason why this is a bad idea and is there anything I need to take into account before embarking on this?
Many thanks for all answers.

Is taking up the tiles an option? If some are missing already, the job would be a lot easier.

I was thinking about that, but the floor underneath wouldn't be very even. I can tell that whoever tiled the floor evened it out with the tiling adhesive. It would take a good while to get all the tiles off as well and then I'd have to put levelling compound after all and then I'd have to wait for it to dry, in the meanwhile I'm without kitchen... So I thought if i put plywood down, it's fast and can immediately be covered with the lino...

but the floor underneath wouldn't be very even

We had to put down new tiles - the ply wood would have to go on the floor and not on the tiles as these could crack in the long term and the possibility that your lino will rip....

No, that wouldn't be a problem, but I might go with the levelling compound after all...

if you drill the holes into the plywood throuh the tiles. everything is level and there is no gaps between the ply and old tiles, completely clean put some adhesive down as well then it shouldn't be a problem

It would be nigh on impossible to put ply down in such a was that the joints would not be visible through the lino, so I think the levelling compound is the only way to go. It's very easy to use, but you may need to put down a coat of PVA solution on the tiles to ensure a good bond between the tiles and the compound.
Leo

Yes I think that's what I'm going to do, I figured that the plywood might get too tricky....
Many thanks for all the comments!

Back