Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Having said that we have a "fussy" eater who visits our house and it can be soul destroying to hear I don't eat that or that or that. And it's not just the main course it is the same for the desserts.

Does anyone remember a comment in a book about the family goulash that had been going for decades? Just top it up every day. I have no idea what the book was about.

I think I remember hearing that it was in Viz.

People not liking fish is the most common one I encounter, but that's probably because we love fish in our house and easily eat it two or three times a week. When I was a child the only fish we ever had were either breaded, fish fingers or out of a tin! I thought I didn't like fish until I started eating fresh fish in my twenties.

Ah bullbars it's not that bad I think! Some people are exactly as you describe and others are adventurous and keen to try new things but most people are afraid of getting it wrong and ruining a night or day out. So they stick to familiar tried and tested dishes. I tend to always pick something off a menu if I haven't tried it previously and have often been disappointed and jealous of my fellow diners and had my husband have to fend me off with a fork as I decide to share his dinner as a second option.

But in general, I find trying new food one of the most pleasurable things to do, and often you are rewarded with a gem of a new dish which I then add to my repertoire (though not always to my menu for customers).

Having said that we have a "fussy" eater who visits our house and it can be soul destroying to hear I don't eat that or that or that. And it's not just the main course it is the same for the desserts.

When I cook for the kids one opf them may not like what they are given. I never make them eat it but I point out that it's not a restaurant and there's no option B; their choice is to eat their dinner or not eat their dinner. There's no "other" dinner on offer.

Same for adult guests?

Same for adult guests?

Would love to know the answer to this. I believe children should have a choice in what they eat (within reason) and eat what you get or go hungry was often the case years ago.

However it still amazes me that my husband is happy to eat more or less whatever I put in front of him without any input while I start thinking about lunch and what I'd like about 9 o'clock in the morning! I shop for and cook what I fancy for each meal and everyone in my family gets my choices and seems fine with not making their own selections.

I serve really good food with locally sourced seasonal ingredients

Arg....one of my pet peeves these days - such an annoying phrase! "Oh no i'd much prefer the out of season strawberries that taste like crap please". Every single restaurant/cafe is pedalling this phrase, even McDonalds.

Jaysus Bullbars! I think you needed to get that off your chest. Can't disagree with much of your post- except fresh fish shouldnt smell.
I admittedly felt better after it, very therapeutic! I think the fish smell people refer to is an imaginary one, used as a get out to order the toasted ham and cheese sandwich & chips.
I will always picture my brother who for years started dinner by thoroughly inspecting his dinner and removing any trace of onions/ peppers / celery etc. It would take him nearly ten minutes before he was happy to eat it!
On my don’t like list – celery & courgette; although I have eaten them when they are mixed through other ingredients.
I’d agree that it can be an expensive experiment to try in a restaurant; but even as a starter or a “try some of this” invitation you get the frown and scrunched nose response “ no I wouldn’t be a fish person now” etc. etc.
I’ve tried some dishes that I didn’t like but it would never stop me trying something new again. I think it helps when you’ve a partner not afraid to go for the unknown as well.
But in general, I find trying new food one of the most pleasurable things to do, and often you are rewarded with a gem of a new dish which I then add to my repertoire (though not always to my menu for customers).
That’s the best bit – at times the tastiest dishes you find are quite easy to replicate and toy with to your own taste!

Same for adult guests?
The children aren't guests, not strictly speaking anyway

I don't cook things that I know they don't like but if they say they don't like something today that they liked last week then tough luck to them. I certainly don't accept them saying that they don't like something they haven't tried yet. Way too many children are brought up on a a diet of high salt and high fat foods. It's no wonder they don't like proper food when they get older.