Plumbing/water question

bamboozle

As its only a matter of time before we start getting charged for water rates, I’ve been thinking of placing an additional tank in the attic to collect rain water from the gutters and use this tank for flushing toilets etc…just to reduce the water usage from the mains… has anyone heard of something like this?

nice idea but wouldn't think it is feasable. would require changes to your plumbing to connect feeds for toilets to this tank? also, would it be a good idea to have such an extra weight in your attic?

have wondered if local authorities should be moving in direction of aspiring to providing separate water feeds for water to at least new developments where possible - one for drinking/bathing and the other for toilets, gardening etc... probably not feasible either.

You could at least try to be more efficient - adjust the ballcock to reduce amount of water used when flushing toilet

At the greener homes exhibition I came across a company which install a water harvester system which is basically a giant 2000L drum placed underground in your back garden which collects & stores the rain water from the drains, this water is then used to supply toilets, dishwasher & washing machine, 2 problems with it tho, firstly it can only really be put into new-builds due to where it needs to be located and secondly at 3.5k it aint cheap, so I was just wondering if there is more of a DIY option!

You could fit a couple of water barrels at the end of two main down pipes to collect the rain water from roof. then use a submerged pump to the attic tank, don't worry too much about extra weight. you could run a pipe up the otherside wall insulated and running inside a fake down pipe to disguise it. sounds like a lot of trouble to be honest. However water barrels are a good idea to water garden, clean car etc.

Back