Plumbing question / Turn off water

EK841980

Hi, can anybody tell me is it possible that my house could have 2 main water stop valves? It was extended by the previous owners over 20 years ago. We are trying to repair a toilet in the extension but turning off the main stop valve under the kitchen sink doesn’t seem to stop water to that bathroom. Where else could it be ? Any help appreciated

The main only goes to the kitchen sink. The toilet should have a valve on the pipes leading into it, possible in a bathroom close by if the toilet is standalone.

Thank you, yes we have turned off in hot press. There is nothing on the pipes leading into the toilet. Could it be in the attic? I will try the toilet close by too. Thanks for replies

There are usually a few valves in the hotpress, one to top up the system, and any number of others to turn off water supply (hot and cold) to bathrooms etc. Have a good look in there, and label them when you work out what is doing what.

It obviously hasn't been done in this case, as according to the original post, turning off the stop cock in the kitchen doesn't stop the flow to the toilet

Piping water to the toilet from directly from the mains would be gross negligence on the part of the plumber - especially if it links upstream of the stop cock

as above. Mains valve into kitchen is only for kitchen.

There will be another mains with a valve in your attic feeding the water tank for bathrooms (cold shower, sink and toilet)

Some toilets and sinks have isolater or penny valves visible in the bathrooms. Yours obviously does not.

You could try find the mains valve leading to the water tank but you are probably best just lifting the ball cock in the attic water tank, flushing the toilet and the cistern won’t refill.

Failing that turn off the mains going into your house outside your gate. Flush toilet and put bathroom taps on. This will drain tank and it won’t refill. Waste of water though. I would just lift the ball cock temporarily in attic tank.