Plumbing question - stoves and zoning

MulberrySt

Hi everyone,
I have a question, which I'd appreciate anyone's expertise on, since I'm getting different answers!
Basically, I have a new build dormer that has oil central heating plus a stove (with boiler to heat radiators).
I have been told that it is not possible to create two separate zones for heating (just one for ground floor, one for first floor). The best they can do is have a thermostat for each floor, which can regulate the temperature.
They've said that if I removed the boiler-stove from the equation the two zones are there with the oil heating. But this won't work with the stove.
Has anyone encountered a similar issue? I'd be grateful for any insights you may have.
Thanks
MulberrySt

The best they can do is have a thermostat for each floor, which can regulate the temperature.

Is that not two zones, up and down (2). If you want seperate time control on each just get a programmable thermostat for each zone. There are loads of prog stats out there from Myson, Honeywell, Siemens, Horstmann, Sunvic,

You can get a three channel programmer from Horstmann that will give you timed control over two heating zones and one hot water. You would also then have your static thermostats controlling zone valves for up and down.

Hi Davidoco,

Thank you very much for your reply. Can I pick your brains a bit more on this?

Would these programmable stats enable me to set the ground floor heating to come on at a different time to the first floor? This is essentially what I was hoping for.

However, I'm being told that the boiler-stove doesn't enable separate timer control of the zones.

If you've any other information, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again

Depends on the pipe work and i think what they mean is that you need the upstairs rads to be open to solid fuel in the event of a power cut. The prog stat can ane will do timed heating but it is slightly different to what yot might be used to. You set the temp yot would like at a certain time ane the clock turns on the heating in advance of that time. Works all the same. post as much as you can about the components you have at present

Well they sound like a good means of resolving the situation.
Re components of the system, I have -
a timer for the central heating system (i.e. one timer for the whole house),
2 manual stats (one upstairs, one downstairs)
My hot water cylinder is a solar unvented twin coil one, since I have hot water heating by solar collectors
There is a circulating pump for upstairs, a separate one for downstairs and [off the top of my head] one for the stove
a stove with boiler that will heat radiators.

Thanks again, Davidoco. Great help.
MSt

Last edited:
Put your time clock on constant. Buy 2 prog stats and replace your manual stats. Job done. But you must be very careful about two things.1 when you have no heat demand from rads or hot water cylinder you need a heat leak like an open rad for the solid fuel. And 2 in the event of a power failure or system fault you need the solid fuel to output heat to that heat leak unrestricted.

Ps are you sure solid fuel will heat rads with oil/gas off and did your plumber assure you that the way yot are set up is safe as mixing the two fuel sources is not an easy job.