Plumbing Problem

mickeyg

I have recently had an upgrade to my bathroom - new bath/shower, sink and WC. In both the sink and bath recently I noticed that the water was very slow to drain. In an effort to clear what I presumed was a blockage I bought a plunger and gave botht the sink and bath a good "plunging". However, I now find that although the sink drainage is fine there is no drainage from the bath and I am left witha half bath full of manky water!

Anyone have an idea what the problem is and how I could relieve it or is it a job for the plumber

mickeyg said:
I have recently had an upgrade to my bathroom - new bath/shower, sink and WC. In both the sink and bath recently I noticed that the water was very slow to drain. In an effort to clear what I presumed was a blockage I bought a plunger and gave botht the sink and bath a good "plunging". However, I now find that although the sink drainage is fine there is no drainage from the bath and I am left witha half bath full of manky water!

Anyone have an idea what the problem is and how I could relieve it or is it a job for the plumber

Did you get tiling done in the bathroom recently?

mickeyg said:
Yes, I did!!!

Sounds like there maybe hardened tiling grout in your waste pipe if this is the case then you'll have to get a plumber to disconnect and dislodge the blockage and reconnect the pipe again it's not a big job he just needs access to underneath the bath so any bath panel you have will have to be removed and refitted again after he finishes.
I had this problem in my bathroom when I first moved into my house a plummer friend of my fathers did the job in half an hour no charge luckily for me he was a family friend but he did get a nice bottle of Scotch for his trouble :)
I tried plungers, drain unblocker, caustic soda nothing would dislodge it, plummer was the last resort.

Good Luck ;)

before you call a plumber, try a drain unblocker based on hydrochloric acid. The COOP shops stock one called "loo boss" :)
The grout and or adhesive is usually carbonate based and will dissolve in HCl.
WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES, make sure the room is ventilated. Concentrated HCl will blind you and inhaling the fumes is something you will never forget.

Try three applications about 10 mins apart flushing with water in between.

Will this "loo blocker" affect the pipes/system or just dissolve whatever is causing the blockage?

Loo Boss is a brand name and it will not affect plastic pipes,
PS do not let anyone sell you a sulphuric acid based product, it will not act on carbonates.

I would still say disassemble the traps, any acid solution will only act on the immediate surface and will not shift a solid mass. This problem is very common.

Back