Plumbing - Leaking Sealed Pressure Vessel

galwegian44

Just came back from holiday to find that my Sealed Pressure Vessel seems to be leaking from the middle. I had a guy lay wooden flooring in the master bedroom and walk-in-wardrobe (which contains the cylinder tank and SPV) while I was away and he may have given something a whack during the job (these things happen).

Just wondering if this is a major job or whether there are some simple troubleshooting tips that I should try to determine the cause. I also have a faulty filling point that tends to slow leak into the system when I top up annually. I did this recently and have been using the pressure relief valve to drain some water until I get around to tightening it again with a wrench. This really needs to be repaired also. Anyway I mention this because it means that pressure would probably have been higher recently than in the last 6 - 12 months (up to 3 bar as against an average of 1 to 1.5 bar) and this may also have an effect I guess.

Overnight I had about 1 litre of water drain into a bowl over the course of 10 hours. It seems to be coming from the horizontal join in the middle of the vessel and sliding down under the vessel until it drips into the bowl. Do these things separate in half when opened or can they even be opened.

Anyway, all help is very much appreciated....thanks in advance.

You need a new vessel which costs in or around €30 euro. You might be lucky and there will be an isolation valve leading to the vessel (probably not though).

There is no troubleshooting required. Your pressure going up to 3, because of the faulty filling valve, busted the vessel. Your carpenter is completely innocent.

The filling valve will probably need replacing also

Thanks Davidoco, looks like it's time to finally get around to repairing the filling valve...stitch in time and all that.

Even if it was the carpenter inadvertently giving it a whack, I know the guy and he does great work....and these things happen from time to time. But I garee the obvious culprit is the filling valve although I'm surprised that 3 bar pressure would blow this. Anyway, time for the plumber.

Thanks again.

You need a new vessel which costs in or around €30 euro. You might be lucky and there will be an isolation valve leading to the vessel (probably not though).

There is no troubleshooting required. Your pressure going up to 3, because of the faulty filling valve, busted the vessel. Your carpenter is completely innocent.

The filling valve will probably need replacing also

Just to finish off the story, my plumber came and replaced the expansion vessel and put in an automatic fill tap instead of my manual one (didn't realise that these were available). So if I vent a radiator and the pressure drops the system will automatically refill to a pre-determined level without any intervention by me. Great stuff.

Expansion Vessel - €40
Auto Fill Yoke - €30
Labour - €80
Peace of Mind - Priceless :D

Thanks all.

Just came back from holiday to find that my Sealed Pressure Vessel seems to be leaking from the middle. I had a guy lay wooden flooring in the master bedroom and walk-in-wardrobe (which contains the cylinder tank and SPV) while I was away and he may have given something a whack during the job (these things happen).

Just wondering if this is a major job or whether there are some simple troubleshooting tips that I should try to determine the cause. I also have a faulty filling point that tends to slow leak into the system when I top up annually. I did this recently and have been using the pressure relief valve to drain some water until I get around to tightening it again with a wrench. This really needs to be repaired also. Anyway I mention this because it means that pressure would probably have been higher recently than in the last 6 - 12 months (up to 3 bar as against an average of 1 to 1.5 bar) and this may also have an effect I guess.

Overnight I had about 1 litre of water drain into a bowl over the course of 10 hours. It seems to be coming from the horizontal join in the middle of the vessel and sliding down under the vessel until it drips into the bowl. Do these things separate in half when opened or can they even be opened.

Anyway, all help is very much appreciated....thanks in advance.

Back