Plumbing insulation

Wolverine

Hi,

I'm in the middle of first fix plumbing and electrics.
Plumber is mostly using qualplex(i think that's how it's spelt), with the rest being copper.

most of it is run between the joists, but there is no insulation around it ?
there are small bits of insulation where electrical cable is in close proximity with the plumbing.

Should all internal plumbing (Qualplex and Copper) have insulation around it ?

Thanks,
Wolverine

I'm sure there's a school of thought that insulating all copper pipes is the best solution, but its not the norm.

Qualpex has much better heat retention so no need for insulation.

Any pipes that are being embedded in concrete should be insulated.

I agree with OhPinchy with the following addition,Any pipes that are being embedded in concrete should be insulated except for the UF heating pipes.

Hello, I would like to ask a question on this also. My gas central heating system is piped using copper and when it goes on and off the pipes between the joists upstairs make some racket.

Would it be appropriate to use insulation around the pipes so that (A) they retain the heat longer and (B) the insulation means they are not knocking off eachother and the joists.

Thanks.

Qualpex piping laid between first floor joists need not be insulated as heat losses are small with a plastic pipe; copper pipe runs should always be insulated except where surface mounted in a habitable room for example as the heat losses will contribute to the space heating requirements of the room. Some level of creaking noises are almost inevitable when pipework expands and contracts with heating and cooling- insulation will not prevent it though it is desirable to insulate such pipework. The key to avoiding excessive noise is to install adequate clips and to ensure pipework is suitably isolated from adjoining timbers or other pipework. In larger (usually non-domestic) installations the pipe fitter will make special provisions to accommodate movement in long pipe runs using loops etc.

Carpenter,

Thanks for that. I have seen the junction where the pipes for the heating etc meet before branching off to the rooms. It is a very conjested space. I am doing a bit of rework in that area soon enough so it should be an oppurtunity to clean it up or at least take measures to minimize the noise.

I have some creaking in my own house when the boiler is fired up but the pipework is inaccessible to me so I'll just have to live with it. As you suggest it's down to a lot of pipework in a congested area, good luck with it.

Thanks Guys...

On another note - I've noticed a few electical cables lying on the qualpex running to a rad upstairs - is the dangerous ?

Regards,
Dion.

Probably not, as Qualpex won't reach a high surface temperature but if in doubt you could clip the cables to adjoining timbers.