Plumbing in washing machine - Can I do it myself?

cms

I'm just wondering how easy/difficult it is to plumb in a washing machine and dishwasher. We're moving into a second hand home which has previously had the machines plumbed in. Is it just a matter of connecting some pipes? I'm don't want to have to pay a plumber a fortune to do a simple job, but then again I don't want to end up with a flood!

Have never done a dishwasher but I did my own washing machine last week. Its very straight forward. You just have to screw the water pipe into the back of the machine, stick the waste pipe into the drain pipe and turn the water on.

It sounds very straightforward in principal and no doubt it is when you know what you're doing but I want to sound a word of caution here. When I bought my first house, it was an old cottage with no connection for a washing machine, so I bought a self-bore kit from the DIY store and decided to plumb it in myself. It was only afterwards when I went to test it out that I discovered that I had plumbed it into the mains gas pipe instead of the hot water pipe... So just be careful before you ditch the plumber for all those DIY jobs.

its straight forward you will see the dangly bits (for want of a better word) hanging from the dishwasher and u just connect them to the water supply pipes behind at the wall. once connected u will prob have to twist them to the on position so the water will flow.

Read somewhere (I think on AAM) that using self boring kits isnt a great idea. That using ordinary fittings is the best way to go (this isnt a big job either)

Back