Plumbing in American style fridge freezers.

DaveD

Is plumbing in the water supply on American style fridge freezers a simple DIY job or does it need a plumber, assuming a reasonable level of DIY competence of course?

I'd need to temporarily route the water supply over a door to get to the cold water supply, is this likely to be a problem, other than getting a longer connection tube?

Any recommendations on actual appliances?

It is a easy job. The one i got (Samsung) came with about 20+ feet of approx 7-10mm pipe and used connectors the same as a washing machines water supply, 22mm. As for extending the lenght of pipe, the instructions warn about having too little pressure, as this may cause problems with ice making (tray only half filling) and taking to long to fill a glass etc.

Thanks Towger, its actually a Samsung I'm thinking of, one of these in particular...

[broken link removed]

Would you recommend one having had personal experience? If yours is black or stainless steel do you have any issues with fingerprints on the doors?

It is has coated aluminum doors, no problems with fingerprints and have we have had it for three years without any problems.

Hi, we got a new Fisher and Paykel fridge/freezer with water and ice, just 2 weeks ago. Its stainless steel, not fingerprints, and so much smarter looking than the American fridges. I wanted drawers in the freezer, rather than the open spaces. Its wide and has brilliant door storage space as the water comes from the back and the ice is made in the freezer (so u open the freezer to access it).
I would recommend it. Google it.
my husband, who likes a bit of DIY, plumbed it in himself. We had to buy a longer tubing, and once I found out where to get it, it wasnt a bother to do it.

Its easy all you need is a cold supply and a washing machine valve, the rest will come with the fridge

We have a "fischer and Paykel" also. It's a wide fridge freezer (fridge on top and freezer below) and a better design than the regular American fridge freezers, I think. We do not have a drinks dispenser so no plumbing.

Is it difficult to replace the filter units?? I have a Samsung unit and it's showing that it needs a new filter - have bought same but am no DIY freak and don't wish to soak the wooden floors!!
any help and encouragement appreciated

Hi

I have also just bought one of those samsung fridges..

Do they have to be plumbed in or is that only for the Ice?

I bought now for a new house I havent yet moved into, with a view of incorporating into the new kitchen we will install a year or so down the line. I don't expect there to be any water access until then.

did I make a mistake?

Also whilst I am on the subject - how was the delivery the new house just has a standard width hall.

Thanks
Paddy

I reset the replace filter button without replacing the filter 6 months ago as I didn't want to pull out the fridge to get at it and the water quality seemed fine to me and it's been running fine. Hope I'm doing any damage.

Back