Plumbing DIY

mickdoyle

I'm thinking of putting in a new shower. I need to connect a plastic water supply pipe to a plastic water storage tank. Are there any good DIY sites or books that explain in detail how this is done. Thanks for any replies.

Yeah, try "Collins Plumbing and Central Heating" guide- apart from mostly metric references you'll find all you need to know here.

Hi Carpenter -

Does the Collins book go into much detail or is it pretty general?

I have the Readers Digest DIY Manual and the B&Q DIY Book and both give good overviews of plumbing, but I want to get a deeper knowledege of certain areas - e.g. soldering for gas pipes, testing that gas pipes are empty after killing supply before working, pressure testing - is a barometer necessary, more info on standard heating setups and also how to find a fault in the heating system. Do you happen to know of any books that covers all or some of the above?

If you're a plumbing novice then stay away from the gas pipes, it's not worth the risk for you and others.

I'm with Heinbloed on this one- stay away from gas if you're a novice and stick to wet systems. Gas fitting is a protected trade- more so than plumbing. Anyone can call themselves a plumber without impunity whereas Bord Gais keep a register of approved installers.

mickdoyle said:
I need to connect a plastic water supply pipe to a plastic water storage tank. .
What type of shower,electric,gas or your own hot water, do you need a pump or is it gravity flow,

Thanks for the advice, but to clarify - my plan was to run all the necessary pipes back from the extension to the existing gas feed and then getting a plumber I know to give it the once over and do the actual final connection, was half thinking of figuring out what would be involved in that last bit but will opt against it.

Reckon if I had it all pressure tested and he just had to double-check and then make it live it'd be a small job for him and I could get in done on my time.