Plumbers Glue/Putty ?

Tubbs

Mrs Tubbs and I decided to get people in to do a few jobs around the house and it has been a complete disaster and cost us loads and loads.

Carpenter, plumber, builder, tiler, landscape gardener, electrician. All of them we hired were unreliable and did really bad jobs when they did decide to turn up (Many stories for another day)

Anyway one of the problems I have after the plumber has been was a peice of pipe behind bathroom sink that that had come detached and therefore piddled water down through kitchen.

Whats the best way for securing these pipes that slot into each other and make them a good fit. Is there plumbers putty or glue ?

They are not letting out water anymore but if they are nudged or kicked they can easily come apart.

Thanks.

You can use something like "power putty"....I forget the manufacturers name right now. Probably Loctite. This is putty that cures after an hour and is waterproof. I know you can get it in B&Q and Woodies. It costs about €5 if I recall correctly. However, be careful.....I would recommend taking the hit to get a plumber in to replace and fix the pipes at the back or you could cause yourself greater problems in the long term if there's a continuous leak behind your sink.

I aggree with Squonk above, best off to have a plumber (or competent person) remake the jouints and use a thin smear of joint compound if the joints are still weeping. I recommend "Boss White" for non-drinking water supplies and all central heating joints. For potable (drinking) water applications an american compound called "Super Lac" (I think, will check when I get home this evening) was recommended to me and I find it to be very good. It's safe to use on all services, is clean and easy to use. An unattended leak (or potential leak) like you describe could destroy your house while away on holiday etc.

If you are refering to push fit plastic waste pipes ,you need to use special
glue. Wavinweld is one of these glues.

It sounds as if a 30mm-40mm sewer pipe connection is coming apart. So the first thing to check is how wide it goes into the slot of the other pipe. If it fits about 1" deep or more then take it apart again , dry and clean it. Sand both ends with sand paper, then put a special glue onto both ends and push them together. The glue can be got from the plumber supplier or the DIY shop. It must be PVC glue and it must be heat resistant. Read the label carefully, ventilate the work space and take care that you get nothing of it in your eyes.
And as a general advice: buy a fixing bracket for the pipe to fix it to the wall, it costs only a few cents. All (sewer) pipes should be fixed to the background.