plumber/plumbing cost ?

househelp

we are renovating a 3bed house in galway. we have removed all plasterboard and piping so access is direct. We are replastering after installation and insulation is done in house.

We require 7 rads, installation of oil condensing boiler outside, hot water cylinder, attached tank. 1 kitchen sink with Dishwasher feed and waster. 1 washing machine feed with waste. 1 bath with seperate pumped shower, 1 bathroom toilet and sink.

the access is very straightforward and easy to get to for all installations in the house, rads, hotpress etc.

would anyone have an idea of how much this might cost ?
have been quoted LABOUR only, ex vat, at 2500? would this be about right ?

I not a plumber but this sounds reasonable (what I would expect it to cost) but when pricing any building work you should try and get at least 3 competetive quotes to ensure that you are getting value for money. Have you got an itemised breakdown of the job- there are different qualities (and prices to match of course) for plumbing fittings and fixtures; a Deva tap is mid range (good quality too I think) but you can get very expensive and very cheap taps and mixers too. What type of cylinder is proposed, is the storage cistern insulated, are rads fitted with TRVs, will fixtures be fitted with mini isolation vlaves etc etc? what type of piping is proposed, sanitary ware, the list of questions goes on. You should try and pin down these issues and draw up a detailed specification for pricing by 3 plumbers, in this way you can be sure that you are getting value for money.

I agree, this does sound reasonable. But it is never any harm to get a couple more quotes.

Try googling plumber galway and you should get a few websites that will supply you with plumber details from which you can contact them and get the quotes. I have used www.tradesman.ie before and have found it a great starting point, but not sure if they cover galway.

Do you know this person from whom you got the quote??

I just had a plumber around to my house (actually he ended up calling over twice). He set ip my American fridge freezer, switched the water back on and re plumbed up the washing machine and is charging me €350....I thought that this was really expensive but as I have never used a plumber b4 I have no idea....

Does any1 know if this is reasonable?

Thanks

That does sound a bit on the high side lanmchops, how long did he spend in your house over the 2 visits??

cheers for the replies/advice

the quote of 2.5k is labour only. to be honest i dont see where the cost is going!, the house is completly open and accessable, the heating systems of a back boiler and rads we have just removed leaves the holes etc for piping and we are taking care of all chasing/cutting for piping in concrete floor on ground?

can you diy a central heating system?

can you diy a central heating system?

I don't think so, least not without some professional help or guidance along the way. Whilst the basic pipe jointing and bending techniques etc can be picked up quickly enough it takes yeas of experience to be able to design a system from scratch, avoiding pitfalls like air locks, pumping over, pitching etc. A good book will teach you the basics but every installation is different. I'm happy to do straightforward plumbing myself but I'd never take on a full installation, unless I had help from a professional. Mistakes in plumbing (especially when concealed) are costly.

Back