plumber and tiler quote-overpriced?

lab-rat

Hi There, I have just moved into a house and need to get the bathroom suites replaced (all pink, yuck) and the bathrooms tiled.
I was given a quote of 5.7k for the job, Labour only!
The job includes changing three toliets, three basins, one bath and one shower tray and tiling the three bathrooms, (one is a downstairs wc, very small tiling job!)
The guy told me that it would take approximately 3 weeks to carry out the job which two man working on it. Surely this is ott. I thought it would take 3 days.
Am I out of touch but to me this seems overpriced too.
I would really appreciate some advise on this.
Thanks

I'd expect a jacuzzi thrown in for that price!
I think you need to shop around and get some REAL quotes.....

thanks for the reply. W
Total area to be tiled is 25m2 approx. We are in Dublin and the removal of tiles are included in price.
Surely it would take one week max?

i reckon 2 days for 2 guys to strip three bathrooms back ready for tiling again and remove all fittings.
2 days to fitt the toilets, trays etc. (being generous)
2-3 days to re-tile.
= 6 days = 12 mandays = €475 per day= €60 per hour each. Its' a bit rich and theirs no way it would take 3 weeks unless these boys are on a 3 day week and knocking off at 3pm each day.

I got a large plumbing job done recently and I calculated the labour rate at €35 /hour based on the price i paid. I also got various quotes and estimates of time ranging from 8 days to two days. The guy at two days got the job and finished in less than two days.

I estimate 6 days at 8 hrs per day at €35 /hour comes to approx €3400
. BTW im an amateur tiler and I could tile three bathrooms in three days with someone helping me. If you r really stuck you could offer €4000 and make him swear he'll be out in two weeks for another €400 .....

owenm said:
i reckon 2 days for 2 guys to strip three bathrooms back ready for tiling again and remove all fittings.
2 days to fitt the toilets, trays etc. (being generous)
2-3 days to re-tile.
= 6 days = 12 mandays = €475 per day= €60 per hour each. Its' a bit rich and theirs no way it would take 3 weeks unless these boys are on a 3 day week and knocking off at 3pm each day.

I got a large plumbing job done recently and I calculated the labour rate at €35 /hour based on the price i paid. I also got various quotes and estimates of time ranging from 8 days to two days. The guy at two days got the job and finished in less than two days.

I estimate 6 days at 8 hrs per day at €35 /hour comes to approx €3400
. BTW im an amateur tiler and I could tile three bathrooms in three days with someone helping me. If you r really stuck you could offer €4000 and make him swear he'll be out in two weeks for another €400 .....
Thanks Owenm, I got another quote today from a plumber, he charges a set fee for the day. He said the plumbing would take three days. I am waiting for the another tiling quote, but this second quote should come in a few grand cheaper. Happy days. Thanks for the advise.
Moral of the story ....get a few quotes!

Back