Plug timer on washing machines

TarfHead

To avail of night-rate, I usually hold off switching on the washing machine or tumbler or dishwasher until midnight. Normally I'm still awake so it is not a problem. There are times when I want to get an early night and wish of a way of getting the machines to switch on at the designated time.

I have been told that it is unsafe to put such applicances on a plug timer. Not sure why but I've little knowledge of household electrics so I take such advice at face value.

Anyone here know if this is true or not ?
Does it depend on the plug timer ?

You should not put any heavy loads (anything with a high wattage and/or amperage rating - such as a heater, washing machine etc.) on a timer plug adaptor as such adaptors are normally rated for much lighter loads and can be dangerous if misused (e.g. can burn out and cause fires). This topic touches on this subject in relation to putting oil filled electric heaters on such timer units.

Hi Tarfhead,

Clubman is right in what he says about the timers. Definitely a no no. The fact that you might be in bed when the fire starts is frightening to say the least. When my washing machine went on fire (old age not timer related) luckily enuf I was standing nearby and was able to switch it off at the mains. Most electricians will advise 'not to go out' when putting on machines.

ClubMan said:
You should not put any heavy loads (anything with a high wattage and/or amperage rating - such as a heater, washing machine etc.) on a timer plug adaptor as such adaptors are normally rated for much lighter loads and can be dangerous if misused (e.g. can burn out and cause fires). This topic touches on this subject in relation to putting oil filled electric heaters on such timer units.

Surely their rating will be reflected by the fuse rating? Overloading should then blow your fuse.

Am I missing something or wouldn't 99% of these gizmos be sold for washing machine/diswasher use?

As far as I know the cable itself could burn/melt without the fuse blowing first. See the other topic about oil filled radiators mentioned earlier.

Anyway [broken link removed]:

Safety Advice

For safety reasons it is inadvisable to leave appliances, such as washing machines, dishwashers or dryers totally unattended while they are operating. To benefit from cheaper Nightsaver electricity ESB recommends that, rather than leaving these appliances running after you retire to bed, that you use them early in the morning in time for the full wash/dry cycle to be completed before 8 a.m. in Wintertime or 9 a.m. in Summertime.

N.B. NEVER use these appliances through timeswitches.

So wouldn't it be possible to use that type of timer on your washing machine/dishwasher?

Erith said:
Could Clubman be on the ropes? Ooof!

:rolleyes:

Kildrought said:
So wouldn't it be possible to use that type of timer on your washing machine/dishwasher?

I'm not an electrician but I suspect that key differences might be
  • The sort of timer used for an immersion is specifically rated for that application and the heavy load and is fixed in place as opposed to being one of the timer adaptors which was referred to in the oil filled heater thread and here (as far as I can see)
  • The immersion is on a separate dedicated circuit whereas the washing machine etc. is on one of the socket circuits so that it is not an isolated load.
I presume that one could install a dedicated circuit and immersion timer style switch for a washing machine but it seems like overkill.

As ever I am no expert when it comes to this so if in doubt get the advice of a professional electrician. Perhaps there is one reading who can comment?

Back