please recommend a good main TV

snowdrop

Hi all
further to my post ref the green patch on my 7 yr old sony tv, I have come to the sad conclusion that a new tv is needed - hopefully in the post christmas sales.

The current size is 32" - would go a bit bigger but not monstrous as dont want it to dominate the room. are there 36" or 40" available, LCD, plasma or not?

What would people recommend for good quality main TV? - we're currently Sky subscribers plus use DVD, also have wireless broadband in the house.

There are many posts in AAM on this issue if you do a quick search - but my advice is always the same: check out www.avforums.com for an excellect discussion on all types of audio and video equipment and then get yourself down to a shop and see which one you like - try and bring a dvd you know and like to play in the shop so you can get a valid comparison - the quality of the video input in some stores is badly degraded because of the number of tv's sharing a signal.

Sony KDL40W2000. Full 1080p. Just make sure you compare prices from all the different places, cause they vary greatly!

It has won a few awards and it's at a great price at the moment in most shops

Forget about 1080p. HD Ready 1366 x 768 is perfectly sufficient for your 1st HDTV. It is considerably cheaper also. A 32" TV should be perfectly adequate. I bought the Toshiba 32C3030 a few months ago, and the picture quality is amazing.

37 inch is a nice size. I would definitely wait until the sales start on Stephen's Day or after and you should be able to pick up a bargain somewhere. It also depends on what you want either LCD or plasma. I have a 37 inch LCD in my sitting room and it is just perfect for the room

LCD seems to be the most popular choice at the moment.
There's alot of disadvantages to plasmas, advantages too (price being one)

I have a Samsung regular size TV, it cost 250 Euro and it does the job perfectly. The guy who installed my satellite dish told me that the cathod ray tube TV's have the best image. My other half used a plasma/flat (don't know what LCD is) screen TV in a hotel in the US recently and he says we're never buying one as it takes ages to change channels as in channel hopping which he loves to do. Can't get over the amount of people living in small apartments with TV screens the size of a wall costing 2K and upwards.

My other half used a plasma/flat (don't know what LCD is) screen TV in a hotel in the US recently and he says we're never buying one as it takes ages to change channels as in channel hopping which he loves to do.

This has nothing to do with the TV but the set top box or satellite system the hotel was using, or indeed the batteries in the remote, but not the tv!

But, if you are happy with what you have then you are in a better place than most people :D

Efm, I'm happy with the TV but I hate the DVD player/recorder and I bought a simple one recently. Argh.......... I think they design them to drive people like me crazy. But it's not as slow as the previous one and that's saying something :)

Just bought a Philips 42" plasma PFP5332/10 in Tesco last saturday. No big advertising campaign but noticed they had 30% back (on clubcard points - vouchers) just for the weekend on electricals.
I was going for a philips 37" LCD down from €1399 to €1199 and 30% back, but manager pointed out the 42" plasmas they just got in - €999 less 30%.
I have a large sitting room so can take 42" - but if you don't it will really dominate your room.
I have no HD input - just ariel on roof for 4 irish channels / 5 British Channels & a freeview decoder for about 30 standard definition channels from wales.
Irish channels are a little grainy - certainly watchable though, British channels have very clear picture but depends on the programme. Re-runs of old programmes are poor on the large screen or say news/documentaries with some foootage from the eighties.
For the content of what I watch I couldn't justify €1200-€1500 for a TV but was waiting for them to come down next year. Seeing this for effectively €700 made me jump at it & I don't regret it.
Philips has a 'PixelPLus' function which is supposed to help fill in missing content when the picture is expanded so large so this may be why the picture appears good on this model. I believe 'Standard' definition broadcast doesn't appear so good on many 42" Plasma or LCDs.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. will check out the forum as suggested. I think 36 or 37" will be plenty. I dont want a monster in the corner!

Back