Please explain travel insurance?

morpheus

Whats the difference between say for example budget travel insurance and the travel insurance that I currently pay for as a benefit of my visa card? Basically, If I have the visa insurance should i bother with the budget travel insurance?
thanks

To compare any insurance policies you need to read the detailed terms & conditions.

The travel insurance that comes swith some credit cards only covers you while you are travelling to and from your destination but doesn't cover you while you are there - this was the case with the non fee paying MBNA gold card the last time I checked. Some fee paying credit cards may have more comprehensive travel insurance such that you are also covered while at your destination but as Clubman says you really need to check the t & c section for a valid comparison.

If you are covered properly with your Cr Card you should have received a brochure explaining exactly what your policy covers.

I know I am totally covered but I have a BOI Platinum card which costs €76 on top of the €40 Gov Tax pa. Cover is really good & it also covers spouse/live in partner & cardholders children up to age 23, once at least 50% of the holiday is paid for with the card.

BOI scrapped the other cover that was included on the basic card. Thought it was too confusing as people thought they were covered when in fact all they were covered for was time they were actually travelling eg duration of flight.

You need to check out exactly what your Travel Insurance covers with the issuer of your Visa. There should be a phone no on back of card. They should be happy to clarify for you. Better safe than sorry.