Please advise me on what I should get

P

PhilMcc

Hello,
I know nothing about cars and am bedazzled when I overhear outlandish somethings about VRT, importing and road tax!

I currently own a 02 VW Golf, but am looking to upgrade to a 2 or 4 door something something. I notice that there is a 50% saving of VRT to be had on hybrids and seeing as I will have this car for quite a while - large savings in ever increasing fuel costs, would I be right in assuming that there is something to be said for going green? Are there any stylish hybrid cars out there?

Failing a hybrid I hear that the BMW 320d are economically sound. Looking at the emmissions of the golf compared to the bmw, they are essentially the same (160ish). Does this mean it will cost me just the same to fuel the bmw as my current golf does?

I would be willing to import from the UK if this makes cash sense! The car doesn't have to be new 2007/06 would be fine for me.
Thanks a lot!
Phil.

Search for other posts here regarding the 320d if you want my honest opinion of the car -you will find other opinions, but mine carries more weight. ;)

Looking for 2 or 4 door something some limits you a lot as you have eliminated 3 or 5 door something somethings from your list of potential purchases. :)

So tackle it from other perspectives -

Budget - how much do you have to spend? (please don't get into what your current car is worth as a trade-in - any answer between zero and any other number you pick is likely to be the right answer)

Annual Mileage - How many miles and is this short runs, mainly long trips or a balanced mix?

City, extra-urban dweller, commuter?

Kids, pets, significant others?

Do you ever need a load-lugger? (Turf from the bog, contraband trafficker, farmer's market stall-holder?)

HTH

Hello there,
many thanks for your swift reply.

Cash to spend: €25,000-€30,000.
Usage: daily commute of 15ish miles, odd runs about town, thats basically it. Annual milage guesstimate: 15,000miles.
No dogs, *****es or animals (apart from myself).
Never any load, apart from the shopping.
Phil.

Your query was very wide though Phil.

Loads of choices. How about putting the following areas in order of importance to you?

Style
Performance
Economy
Comfort
Space
Value

Ranking of 1-10 (1 being the most important).

Style - 2
Performance - 4
Economy - (MPG not vechile price) 1
Comfort - 6
Space - 8
Value - 5

What hybrids/diesels are favourable in this situation?
Thanks.
Phil.

Sooo, a small, economical, stylish car where comfort and especially space are not a major concern.

Mini One diesel ?

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI (140 bhp) manual 6-speed €26k , DSG €29k (less Golf trade-in to a VW/Audi/Skoda dealer). Shop around.

Ranking of 1-10 (1 being the most important).

Style - 2
Performance - 4
Economy - (MPG not vechile price) 1
Comfort - 6
Space - 8
Value - 5

What hybrids/diesels are favourable in this situation?
Thanks.
Phil.

A huge amount Phil.

Firstly if fuel economy is paramount forget about hybrids/ffv's. Diesel is your only realistic choice.

Mini D isn't a bad option actually. Small, stylish, economcal, although not too comfortable ride wise.

BMW 320d is quite performance orientated for it's engine size. Firm suspension. Used versions (pre 08) will still carry old road tax rates.

Audi A3 2.0 tdi is good. Avoid the 1.9 "old school" engine though.

There may be many others in this "premium diesel" range.

p.s. From a Green viewpoint diesels are low in Co2, but actually put out some really nasty other pollutants.

Back