Playstation 3 vs. PSP - (HD, Blu-ray question)

casiopea

Hi guys,
I was thinking about buying my husband a playstation 3 or handheld psp for christmas.

Some background.
He is a very techy person (works in IT and likes his gadgets) but isnt really a "gamer". That said when we visit his family he discusses games with his brothers and has expressed interest in a friends PS2. For the last while (18 months) we've been saving a lot and I thought the playstation would be a treat, we are also expecting a baby early 2008 so I thought it might be entertaining for him when we are stuck inside for baby-reasons.

I have considered Play station 3 as I believe (from wikipedia) is blu-ray ready. Does this mean it can act as a blu-ray dvd player?

Alternatively a handheld PSP might be better given that he isnt a pure gamer? Neater console etc?

Our TV is HD ready should this effect the PS3 vs. PSP decision?

Sorry for the dumb questions any help from more informed people would be much appreciated.

The benefit of going with the PS3 is that you do get a BluRay high-def DVD player - you've already 'invested' in the HD TV so if you get the PS3 you'll be able to pick from the small (but growing) selection at your local Xtravision.

The benefit of the PSP is that its cheaper and as a handheld system, you're not going to have to give up your regular television viewing habits to your gaming husband ;-)

For an infrequent gamer, I'd suggest the PSP - but the BluRay player in the PS3 offers you something also. On a put Toys for Boys scale, the PS3 definitely had the edge.

hi,
I would advise on the ps3 (only because i want one). A blue-ray/dvd player can cost up to 300euro so you are getting an added bonus with buying a ps3.

Im dropping hints to my wife but i feel paying 400+ is a lot to ask.....
She might surprise me....:)

A Blue-Ray movie played on a PS3 and delivered to a true 1080p TV over HDMI is absolutely gorgeous. There are more Blue-Ray movies in the stores than HDDVD.

It will also up-scale standard DVDs.

Back