Playing DVD on a laptop, does the region matter

rayo

I have some dvds I want to send to a friend of mine in America.
They are all region 2 and I dont think he has a region free dvd player, so obviously they wont play for him. My question is, are they likely play on his laptop, or would an American laptop just play region 1 dvds. Basically I suppose what I'm asking is, are all laptops equivalent to a region free dvd player ?
Grateful for any answers, thanks.

I know on my laptop you can choose which region to play, however some different makes may vary.

With a MacBook you can change the region of the DVD player up to 5 times. On the 5th change it locks on that region.

DVD players in computers are not usually region-free and you get AFAIK 3 or 5 attempts at changing the region-code before it refuses to change again.

There are hacks available on the internet to allow you to fiddle with DVD drives to make them region-free permanently (I can't remember where I found mine - I'll post it when I get a chance).

I have bought an NEC DVD burner for my PC which is region free, and a generic (I think it was a DABS value brand) DVD player for it that wasn't. I think the internal DVD burner was only £18 (GBP) at the time. Obviously I play everything on the region free!

Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks Mathepac I would like to see that hack sometime