Player for audio books

Thirsty

A friend of mine is in hospital and with medication etc., finding it hard to read anything. She's not pushed much about TV/radio broadcasting.

So I had an idea that I could download some audio books from my local library for her to listen to, but the elderly iPod shuffle I found at home doesn't seem to be compatible.

Can anyone recommend a good quality MP3-type player I could get? And where would be the best place to get it?

Thanks Tarfhead, I need to purchase something for her use.

I can download the audio books from my library's website, but I'm not sure what to buy to put them on?

A friend of mine is in hospital and with medication etc., finding it hard to read anything. She's not pushed much about TV/radio broadcasting.

So I had an idea that I could download some audio books from my local library for her to listen to, but the elderly iPod shuffle I found at home doesn't seem to be compatible.

Can anyone recommend a good quality MP3-type player I could get? And where would be the best place to get it?

What format are the books in? Even on the old shuffle, there shouldn't be an issue with compatibility.

If the books can be uploaded to itunes, then they should transfer fine to the shuffle.

They go on to iTunes all right but then I tried syncing the playlist on to the iPod Shuffle and that's the message I'm getting up.

I bought the thing about 4 years ago & I've never used it.

Can you play tracks on a Shuffle in order ? I thought it was random, and so not suitable for an audiobook ?

The SANSA Clip usually gets good feedback, and the controls seem to be straightforward. This one has a FM Tuner too.

I think you can select the shuffle to play straight through. But I'm not sure if you can pause it at any point so it may not be suitable for audio books.

I've read some of the reviews on that link you gave; everyone seems to be using it for music though?

II've read some of the reviews on that link you gave; everyone seems to be using it for music though?

Music is the primary use for any MP3 player. Here's an article on MP3 players for audiobooks. The SANSA Clip is the lowest price of the units reviewed.

Last edited:
I've read some of the reviews on that link you gave; everyone seems to be using it for music though?
It doesn't matter, once the file is in .mp3 (or .wma) format. I've the 8GB version of that Sansa and it's my favourite player of all time — great sound quality and good FM reception, hours and hours of battery life, clips on to a lapel and the central button controls play/pause even with gloves on. I use nothing else when I'm walking the dog...

They go on to iTunes all right but then I tried syncing the playlist on to the iPod Shuffle and that's the message I'm getting up.

I bought the thing about 4 years ago & I've never used it.

As others have said, the SANSA Clip is a great little device and the drag and drop eliminates the need for itunes. Plus, unlike the old shuffle, it has a display so you know where you're up to.

An alternative player is the only option in this circumstance. If I remember, Library audiobooks are through a service called OverDrive (think there are others) and are encoded using windows software that means they can set an expiration date for the file. This is a form of digital rights management (DRM) that wasn't recognised by Apple devices and were in WMA format.

I think they only fixed the issue with later ipod touches and iphones.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

Latrade - yep think you have it spot on there.

Now - anyone like to recommend somewhere I can buy one tomorrow?

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

Latrade - yep think you have it spot on there.

Now - anyone like to recommend somewhere I can buy one tomorrow?

Where are you based? If it's not against forum rules; I have a SANSA Clip that I don't use anymore that you can have for nothing. PM me.

Thank you so much Latrade - that's very kind of you, I'm really touched.
Have sent you a PM.

Back