play station 3 The Hype

gailey

The Play Station 3 will be released later this month and I noticed some shops are taking orders now. The price one shop quoted today was €660. I think this is way overpriced for a game console especially as ps1 and ps2 games cannot be played on it. I really do not want to pay this kind of money but I know it will be on the santy list this year ( a shared list!!!) I was just wondering whether there was any possiblity this will come down in price. I cannot remember whether or not the ps2 was reduced after a while or if it ever did come down in price. I would appreciate any opinions from games enthusiasts.

I like games but not consoles other than my pc. But from what i've learned from real game "nerds" as the claimed they were on mIRC, the Xbox 360 is supposed to be better than any PS.

Direct from the Playstation website:

Can I still play my PlayStation®2 games, DVD movie, and CD music collection on PLAYSTATION®3?
Yes, you can play thousands of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles as well as your DVD and CD collection on PLAYSTATION®3.

It does mention that some games may not play as expected but I'd say thats just covering themselves.

well its a blu-ray player also, with Sony yet to release their blu-ray'rs officially this is a major plus, especially with folk out there with full HD 1080P TV and nothing yet capable of feeding them from a video perspective

Does that €660 include any games or is that for the console alone? Seems a lot of money

According to reviews on amazon you can't play ps1 & ps2 games on the European release of the ps3. I had a deposit on one for the initial release before Christmas but took it back when it was delayed. I'm going to wait to see if they realease any more singstars or guitar heros for the ps3 before I get it.

From what I have read many will buy the PS3 simply for the blu-ray player, and even at €660, it compares favourably with other standalone blu-ray players.

At the moment, the X-Box 360 has more blockbuster games.

It will definitely come down in price over time. It has not sold as well as had been hoped so they will have to cut the price to get market share. Also Microsoft are expected to further cut the cost of XBox so that will put even more pressure on Sony.
Most of the money is in the games that is why it is so critical to get market share for console makers. They usually lose money on the consoles. The PS3 is especially expensive to make as it has very high end components.

FYI - It is cheaper in other markets such as US and Japan. Even UK launch price is expected to be £425 which is about 20 euro cheaper than here.

Whether Irish prices will be reduced in price by next xmas though is uncertain.

The (significantly cheaper) Nintendo Wii has been the runaway winner of the recent console sales battles.

I wouldn't count on a quick price drop - apparently they're already significantly subsidising the console price

and don't assume blu-ray will be around in 2 years time...

To be honest I am a hugh gamer and I wouldnt get the PS3 just yet. For the same price as a PS3 you could get a Xbox360 and a Nintendo Wii (great fun). I reckon microsoft will lower thre price when the PS3 comes out. Not a great difference in horsepower between the PS3 and Xbox3 360. Roll on Halo 3

I wouldn't count on a quick price drop - apparently they're already significantly subsidising the console price

and don't assume blu-ray will be around in 2 years time...

Some analysts are predicting it will drop in price in the US by next Xmas but Sony is (of course) denying this.

Blu-ray seems likely to win the format war btw in terms of sales of discs. See here.