Plastic casing into Green Bin ?

neil

Can I put the plastic casing from Easter Egg wrappings into my green recycle bin ?

I have also noticed that people pack their paper in plastic bags and then put the lot in to the green bin? I thought that all plastic was a no no.

Where I live the guidelines on recycling are very loose and no way near comprehensive enough when you consider the variety of packaging that ends up in the domestic waste stream. But from my limited knowledge of the recovery processes I believe that all recyclable material must be packed loosely in the bin, i.e. do not bag, bundle or tie waste in any way. Waste must be loose to enable it to be segregated. Most hard/ rigid plastics are recyclable whereas most films and other light plastics (flimsy bags etc) are not or the at least not viably so.

South Dublin Guidelines for green bins:
Newspaper, cardboard, paper and card packaging, tetrapak (milk cartons), aluminium and steel cans may all be put into the green bin.

I thought it was ok to put the plastic insert of easter egg boxes into the green bin, but apparently not. I found this list on Dublinwaste.ie

What items can you put into your green bin?
Tetra Pak Cartons
Paper / Newspapers
Junk Mail
Magazines
Aluminium beverage Cans
Light Card Steel
Tin cans
Telephone Directories
Pizza Boxes

What items cannot be put into your green bin?
Aluminium Foil and Food Trays
Wallpaper
Glass
Plastic
Construction and Demolition Waste
Electrical or IT Equipment
Household Hazardous Waste Garden Waste
Organic Waste
Composite boxes i.e. Cake Boxes
Tissue Paper
Envelopes with plastic windows

well i put out two plastic things that easter eggs came in, into my recyclying bin yesterday.

Bin men have been now and gone. ooops maybe i should of taken it out :confused:

Does anyone know if the bins are actually sorted through then? On my bin it says anything that should be there will not be collected and you will have to sort through the bin again...but the bin men come and just take the bin they dont look into it or anything....werid!!

I think the answer to this question depends on where you live and who is collecting your recylcle bin. For example I live in the Fingal Co Co area and right now I can't (though newspaper reports suggest it is coming in the future) whereas my parents in Sligo can.

In spite of our Oxigen green bags containing clear instructions on what can and cannot be put in them I regularly notice stuff that should not be there in some people's bags and sometimes Oxigen even collect them regardless... :(

Back