Plastic Bottle and Can crusher

millertime

In an effort to reduce volume I'm looking into a crusher for plastic 2ltr milk cartons, mineral & water bottles and drink cans. There is one on ebay from someone in Cork. It costs €53 before delivery which is a little expensive in my opinion.

Any other alternatives?

I cut 'em up with a scissors... but I guess it depends how many you go through in a week that would dictate whether this is viable for you or not...

I have a wall-nounted can crusher, suitable for beer and soda cans, though not food tins.

We got it from one of those catalogues, like Lakeland or Kleeneze, for a lot less than €53.

Thanks Flexible, can's aren't a problem , it's the milk cartons. The €53 above is the best i've seen

The Centre for Alternative Technology has one [broken link removed] for £14.99.
Don't know how good it is, but if you buy it I'd love to hear if it works! I like that they've made it from 100% recycled plastic!

Your efforts in recycling may be offset for some time by using such a device as this device requires energy to be produced & shipped as well a s retailing energy cost & packaging. Keep it simple, crush them by foot, get your kids to do it for you, c'mon do you really NEED this device ???

My MIL and my mother do not recycle. They are a generation older than me and can see no merit in it. I began to wonder are they right. Why should we fill our homes with junk and wait for the 4 weekly recycling collection when we can tidy up and put it all in the bin and have it collected every week.

There is as far as I know no glass recycling centre in ireland any more ... so all the glass is shipped abroad. I don't know where the paper goes ... but I presume seeing as it's biodegradable it can be composted rather than recycled. As for plastic ... I just don't know.

My motto is 'do I really need that' ... reducing all the time instead of recycling.

If I start seperating plastics, what other plastic items apart from milk bottles will the civic centres take? Can they also recycle plastic pepsi bottles, flora containers?

Also why is it so hard to find a recycling point with a 'food tin' bin. I only know of one in the country!