Plastering materials cost

Seans Dad

I am currently at the plastering stage of my self build, and I want to get a handle on the approximate cost of the plastering materials, sand, cement, beading etc.
The house is 2700 sq ft in area.

Plastering Sand €16 to €20/Tonne
Cement €130 to €150 / tonne
Hardwall €7.50 per bag
Angle bead €6.78 per 8ft length
Scrim tape €5.27 per roll

You need the quants of materials to decide but i would think €3,000 would be plenty.

Assuming standard sand cement finish

Jollyman,

Would that estimate for materials cover both internal and external work?

Would slap-dash/rough-dash add much to the material costs?

My house is a similar size of Op's so your

Is it the wetdash or dry dash? It all depends on the quality of the stone you choose. Thats an estimate for internal and external just for sand cement beads and hardwall

To Ceilings:- One coat gyproc drywall top coat to surfaces of tapered edge boarding including filling, taping and finishing joints flush; ready for direct decoration Per M2 Labour €7.11 Materials €1.07

To Plasterboard Walls :- As above Per M2 Labour €5.76 Materials €1.24

To walls :- 10mm thick; two coat work; to concrete backgrounds with bonding backings Per M2 Labour €10.16 Materials €2.00

To Walls :- 13mm thick; two coat work; to masonary backgrounds Per M2 Labour €10.16 Materials €2.29

Pebbledash Finish to sanded backgrounds:- Per M2 Labour €10.16 Plant €0.10 Materials €0.63

Roughcast rendering:- Per M2 Labour €7.45 Plant €0.08 Materials €1.15

Source Spons Irish construction price book 2006/2007

Thanks Jollyman, much appreciated.

13.5 K for Labour was my best price so If I budget 17K in total I should cover myself.

Please dont rely on spons, it is grand as a very very rough guide but would be more for big jobs/estimators.
I would allow 25/30 euro /m2 for cement render externally(scud scratch and float) and 6-8/m2 for skim coat to plaster board internally

Never do rely on Spons use it for estimating, was just giving indicative prices.

Most plasterers i know still just walk around the building calculate how long it will take them in days and multiply it by the fee he wants per day! Back of a fag box type stuff.

I have been told recently that there is no need to apply a skim coat to plasterboard, just tape up and fill the joints and screw holes as normal, apply a sealer and paint it !!!.

I think this practice started in the US, and is catching on over hear now. Someone realised that when cracks appear in the walls / ceiling, that it is the skim coat that is cracked, not the plasterboard, so why skim ?

Any thoughts on this, what save a lot of money if this system worked ...

a lot of houses now are just gettin taped now alrite it does save a lot of mess and skim,doesnt give a better finish do i dont tink.and if ur wall got wet after there is no protection the slab woulld just crumble away,where if skimed the plaster would protact...

You can and should give taped and jointed plasterboard a sealing coat which gives it a tough eggshell like protection before painting.

By the time you could PROPERLY tape and joint a wall and have it ready for decoration a good plasterer would have it skimmed. There is no doubt a skimmed wall is far superior, but taping is a less skilled job and is often as not done shoddily leaving ridges and shadows on joints.
I have been on large multi million complexes and seen tapers using paint scrapers, sheets of sandpaper and plasterers skrim instead of the paper jointing tape.
In the States they use machines to do the work and it is fast and precise here its usually some nutter with an old paint bucket and a wallpaper scraper

I am looking into this option for my new house as it would potenially save me about €7000.
I would be concerned about getting a smooth enough joint so it wouldn't be visable through paint though.
I am planning on at least trying this out with a couple of sheets of plasterboard first to see what problems show up.
Legs-akimbo, any idea of what tape/filler/sealer is best to use. You seem to think a paint scraper is a bad tool to be using, what method would you use to tape and seal the joints.
Also you mentioned a machine for tapeing and sealing, do you know the name of it or is it available in Ireland

Thanks for any advice ...

Hi,

I did the taped joints solution on a house myself. It is harder than it l;ooks, and I spent days sanding the jointing off, the finish was acceptable, apart from one room where I was losing patience.

In terms of tools there is a wide blade tool for doing the joints or you can use a plastering trowel. There is also a corner trwoel available for internal corners - BUT be warned, however hard it is to get a decent finish on the stright joitns between the sheets, the in ternal corners are very hard to do, and external corners are a nightmare (or at least that was my expeience)

For external corners you will need drylining corner tape (NOT the beads used by plasteres for skim coat). Ask in a builders providers explaining that you are drylining only,not skiming and they should put you right on the stuff you need.

Having said all of the above if I was to do the same house again, I would have had it skimmed properly and cut the cost out somewhere else - no question.
L

You should be able to buy taping knives if you are in Dublin without any problem. they are of varying widths to enable you to apply three wider coats of "mud" as it is known. A pole sander is then used for ease of sanding, if all done correctly the finish should be perfect. The Americans use pnuematic tools which cost thousands as it is all drywall and taping there, though there are hand operated tools available the main tool called a bazooka that you fill manually and differing sized heads for running the joints though if theese can be hired I dont know, certainly not in Mayo anyway.
There is an intensive course of five days that can be undertaken with British Gypsum in Nottingham for taping and jointing using manual tools that you can then lease from them, a course I would say, that could be very lucrative for anyone that wanted to move into this area that is becomeing ever more popular.

[broken link removed]

British Gypsum courses:

Hand taping or speed taping mechanical courses.

Hi all,
Have just been quoted 21K + vat to plaster by 3500 sq foot house. A lot of curved walls. out side plaster nap finish, and inside a smooth hardwall finish. All peremeter walls are dry lined, and as its a dormer most upstairs is slabbed.

Seems expensive but not sure.

Thanks