Plastering Details with Door Kits - How?

dj01

Going to be soon starting plastering new house and I'm trying to find out what way plastering detail works when installing door kits. The door frame architraves and saddle all come in a pre-made kit.

Can I get the plasterer to just go ahead and fit the doors afterwards, or do I need to make up some sort of mock frame first to give the plasterer something to work 'up to'?

thanks,
dj

Hi

Our carpenter recommended we put up dummy frames around the door opes for when it's being plastered. We are thinking of using oak doors and frames and they get destroyed with the plaster.

He said we wouldn't need to do this if we were painting the frames as any staining won't matter.

Frame of some sorts need to be used though as all the opes will be different sizes despite how good you blocklayer is, so to achieve a proper finish to the right size this needs to be done first.

Hubbie is most likely going to do the carpentry work to save a few bob, it's fairly handy apparently?!! (He hung all the doors and frames etc in our current house so has done something similar before)

Anyone who thinks otherwise please let me know before he gets stuck in.

Thanks
S.

I've heard of people wrapping the frame in cling film before installation so that the plater won't stain them. It's then easy to get off as the architrave will cover any bit you can't get off

Fitting dummy or sub frames to door opes is a good idea, regardless of whether subsequent door frames will be painted or not; use of a sub frame means that the door frames proper will not be damaged by other trades, not just the plasterer. Frames are particularly vulnerable to wheelbarrows! The sub frame need be nothing more than a rough sawn lining, 25mm thick and cut to the finished width of the wall (adding for the plaster thickness); ideally the door ope should be a little wider to allow for the lining and a little tolerance. Use of a sub frame speeds up fitting of the final door and frame too.