Plastering before tiling

wigster

All,

my plaster has suggested that he put a rough (ish) finish on a bathroom that is going to be tiled. He said that it allows the tiling to bond better. Has anyone got any views.

Thanks.

Don't know the ins and outs of it all but my tiler did the same thing around 3 years ago and the tiles are still on the wall!!

I just got the scratch coat on mine - was told same about bonding better. Makes sense. No point in hardwalling a room if it is going to be tiled I'd have thought.

Just finished a plastering course and was told this would be perfect surface for tile adhesion

As a plasterer I charge the same rate for floating only as I would for floating and skim coat, simply because I will take the time to ensure the walls are true to within a couple of mm max but also plumb all around and fully close floated with a light scratch......A dream for the tilers. A rough finish sounds a quick fire cop out and will be reflected in the quality of tileing

Its a cop out, get him to plaster. You can paint then until you get around to tiling - or - you may opt for a timber finish etc

he is trying it on

wigster said:
All,

my plaster has suggested that he put a rough (ish) finish on a bathroom that is going to be tiled. He said that it allows the tiling to bond better. Has anyone got any views.

Thanks.

This is the way to go if you're plastering floor to ceiling.

How come on Diy SOS and other such programs you see them tiling onto plasterboard then? Will the tiles fall off if you don't plaster first?

We've extended the en-suite and ordered enough tiles to do floor to ceiling because my husband doesn't want to plaster!! I'll persuade him do both - if it's necessary. Between floor and wall tiles, grout, adhesive, plumbing, shower door etc. this 'little venture' has cost in excess of 2k. with nearly 1/2 that on tiles. Wouldn't want to have to lay out for them twice!!

Thats grand assuming you are going to tile from floor to ceiling

My point is 'at the start' (new house I presume), get them to plaster the lot, then you can decide after if you want tiles or a painted finish, or partial tiles partial paint.

If you are certainly going to tile the room in full then a skim coat is detremental to the tiling process as it will dry out the adhesive too quickly. A sand cement finish with added waterproofer is ideal, but do not allow the plasterer to simply slap on a roughly finished layer of render and expect the tiler to then make a silk purse from a sows ear, the finish (floating coat) should be plumb, straight in every direction and rubbed up with a plastic float with zero hollows or holes, then given a light scratch for a key on the tile adhesive. Perfect backing means perfect tiling!!

Back