Plaster Smell

Leesider32

Hi,

Got a bit of work done on the house, in the main bedroom one wall needed to be plastered, this was over plasterboard. I left it for a week before painting and gave it 2 coats. It took the paint well and there has been no cracking but still a smell of plaster. It is not too strong but you definitely notice it when you go into the room and my wife is pregnant so she definitely notices it!! Also there was a small section not painted as a fitted wardrobe went in there.

How long does it usually take the smell to go away? Leaving the heating on up there as much as possible or else the window open but hoping it doesn't cause problems down the road.

Thanks for any insights!!

Did the plaster change colour to a really light grey? A week even in warmer temps is not a lot of time to let it dry. We reno'd the whole house recently but had to get a couple of bits plastered in early summer....those small bits took a good 3 weeks to change colour & dry fully. But not even with the full house getting plastered did we notice a smell...could well have been the whole house was getting reno'd so smells were all over the place anyway!

Thanks for the reply

It did go light grey except, as far as I can remember, in the corner where the wardrobe went as this gets the least amount of light and circulation. I left the heating on yesterday at full blast for a few hours and it seems to have made some bit of a difference but the smell is still there.

The plasterer said it should only take 4/5 days before it would be dry and the other room we got this done in is fine but then again it does get the sun.

Back