Plans for corner house

K

KYE

I’m lucky to have bought a house in a south city housing estate with an enormous side garden. Im now hoping to build on that and sell the lot on. But im completely inexperienced in this area.

Have had 2 architects look at the site and quote me for plans. One of them suggests that he may get 2 houses on the site but is quoting 5.5K for outline planning. Sounds expensive but i like his idea of fitting two houses in. Could be very lucritive. But could be big risk. Also id need to get full planning then to build. But he is very experienced and its going through his company.

The other will draw full plans for 2K but for one house as he thinks only one house will be approved. He is doing it as a nixer. The difference in price is huge.

I think i may need a third quote. Should i look to an engineer maybe? Or another architect?
Any advice at all would be great thanks. :)

No disrespect to engineers but I think you should be consulting another architect! Architects are more familiar with the everyday rudimentaries involved in house design and a good designer should be able to present you with a choice of options for such a site. The higher fee you quote is not expensive considering the return you expect to make, but don't let price dictate your choice completely, you need to go with someone you trust.

Thanks Carpenter. You are right about the return being very good for two houses.
But ive been given no guarantee at all. And if it looks tight on computer he will be drawing plans only for one house.
And its only outline plans. Im concerned then at how much extra would it be for full plans? But i do trust his work.
I think another architects opinion and quote should help my decision.

No architect or engineer can (or at least shouldn't be able to - think Frank Dunlop:D ) guarantee you that planning permission will be granted. But whoever you go with should be able to confirm whether there is a a chance of maximising the potential of the site without committing too much time on the computer and be in a position to advise you before the bill racks up. Best of luck with it.

KYE said:
Have had 2 architects look at the site and quote me for plans. One of them suggests that he may get 2 houses on the site but is quoting 5.5K for outline planning. Sounds expensive but i like his idea of fitting two houses in. Could be very lucritive. But could be big risk. Also id need to get full planning then to build. But he is very experienced and its going through his company.
Could you offer him an incentive payment, e.g. initial payment of €3.5k plus €2k dependent on getting full planning permission.
KYE said:
The other will draw full plans for 2K but for one house as he thinks only one house will be approved. He is doing it as a nixer. The difference in price is huge.
Do you really want to collude in tax evasion? What comeback will you have if he screws up?

In response to Rainy Day I'd say that less than half of all housing in this country is designed by registered architects and of those that are probably half again are done as nixers, with no tax going to the revenue. Planning permission drawings are not building drawings, they contain insufficient detail so any "risk" is minimal I'd guess.

Ive decided to go back to the dearer architect and haggle for a better deal. Ill be happier using someone who i feel is doing the best possible job for me. Cost is a factor, of course. But reducing stress is a bigger one! Thanks for all the advice.

Carpenter said:
In response to Rainy Day I'd say that less than half of all housing in this country is designed by registered architects and of those that are probably half again are done as nixers, with no tax going to the revenue.
Does that make tax evasion all right then?

Hi Kye,

I've regularly heard people recommend that you go and discuss your ideas with the local Council/Planning Dept and they should be able to guide you. A visit to them before returning to either architect might save you a lot of money/hassle.

This previous thread on AAM Building costs for house on my own corner site might be helpful.

Not sure if this other thread Costly Engineer might be worth a read with regard to fees etc.

Does that make tax evasion all right then?

Tax evasion is currently illegal in Ireland. Whether is 'right' or not, is up to the individual.

Plenty of laws have been passed which weren't 'right'. Was internment 'right'?

Apologies for the diversion - carry on :D

You know it didnt even occur to me that there would be tax evavion involved. I thought a nixer was just a job you did in your own time, after work and that you would file all invoices for nixers for tax returns at the end of year? How naive!

I would agree with yourself that if someone offered to do a nixer I would have thought they were doing it freelance from work rather than necessarily without paying tax

I suppose maybe most don't pay tax on it but how should I know

[email protected]

stuart said:
I would agree with yourself that if someone offered to do a nixer I would have thought they were doing it freelance from work rather than necessarily without paying tax

I suppose maybe most don't pay tax on it but how should I know

[email protected]
When the price for the 'nixer' job is half the price of the official channel, it's a fair to reasonable bet that the difference is due to tax (or lack of same). When the guy asks for payment in cash, that's the real giveaway.

Given the building of the corner house is a 6-figure deal, it would be crazy to risk the job for a few grand.

Back