Planning without an architect

aidans

We want to do a modest single storey extension and are clear on what we want to do. We will need plans drawn up for planning application and building purposes. It seems excessive to pay standard architect fees for a simple drawing. However, my drawing skills are not up to the job! Anyone know of a solution?

It seems excessive to pay standard architect fees
Hi there,
I would advise in spending the money in an architect, my brother had the same feelings as you and employed at a reduced rate some one who worked as a draftsman to design the house.
During the build there were huge issues with the roof, that added a few thousand to the cost of the build.
Also the house was not designed in such a way as to maximise the sun. These may seem small issues but when you are living in the house day to day they are quiet big.
If your going to spend money - may as well invest it properly..

PinkyBear an acrhitect isn't going to be much better when it comes to engineering design (ie the roof) a draughtsman is more than capable of designing a house you need a engineer to look over roof design,load bearing walls and where you need prestressed lintels over opes or if you need steel lintels.

Where are you based aidans, if you PM me I may be able to help you

Mr T

Last edited:
...what is it you think architect's do if a draftsperson can design houses as well as them?

As a point of information, engineers size elements or design engineering solutions, not the design of a roof or wall. An architect may design a roof, an engineer may design the size (dimensions) of roof joists / structure needed to make this roof stand up etc.

As far as planning is concerned - if it's under the 40sq.m. I would still apply for an exemption to planning from the local authority / council - a good solicitor would look for it and a smart architect / engineer would not assume the risk of certification of compliance without something in writing from the council saying that it's exempt.

best of luck with it...but remember, when sick you go to a doctor, when you need your accounts done you go to an accountant, if you're buying a house or being sued you hire a solicitor and potentially a barrister - why then...when dealing with your home (where you live and spend much time) do you try and save by hiring someone who is not qualified for the job??

draughtsman is more than capable of designing a house you need a engineer to look over roof design

Hi there I did not want to come accross as suggesting other wise. however the OP had asked for opinions on not using an architect.

In my opinion you pay alot of money doing extensions and building and getting it right is paramount as you have invested time and money in doing so.
I gave a personal account where my brothers house was designed in such a away as it does not maximise the sun and errors that had been drawn by the draughts man were xpensive to redo.

If you know of a good draughtsman use them, if not it would be my opinion to use an architect as they are trained to make the most of space and light - which is very important.

do you try and save by hiring someone who is not qualified for the job??
So what you are saying is that architects are the only people "qualified" to design, plan and submit a planning application for an extension to a house.

Can you point us in the direction of the particular legislation that governs this.

As an architect, I can say you *probably* do not need an architect for this job.

Suggestions:
Ring an architectural office - ask if there is anyone there willing to do the job as a nixer etc. - a younger architect or technician etc.
(Note to comply with AAM guidelines - you will still have to pay tax etc. on this).

I'd recommend going with an architectural technician rather than an engineer.

PM me if you think I could give you any further info.

There is very little required of either on a domestic extension. So little that an experienced draghty would be more than capable.

Nixer off someone junior as Superman is ideal, as if they have any queiries on anything they will invariably consult at no costs to you in-house to their colleagues.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have sent a few PMs which will hopefully help me resolve the dilemma as to whether to use an architect or not. Thanks again.

Ah nuttynut - our eternal debate continues...

In answer to your post, yes, I do believe that architect's are the only people properly qualified to design buildings - I think popular opinion would support this, I certainly haven't come accross any company or business, not to mention bank or solicitor who feel comfortable using anyone else to design their buildings...strangely that's what keeps architect's in business.

...where the problem lies, as you well know, is that the title of architect is not currently protected. This puts consumers at great risk and everyone knows of people who have been messed around by so called architects - while not saying that properly qualified architect's don't ever make mistakes, consumers can take solace in the stringent education requirements and membership requirements to the RIAI, they also have recourse to the RIAI should problems arise along the way.

While no legislation currently exists, provision has been made in the new Building Control Bill to protect the title of archtect for those properly qualified - details of who is deemed properly qualified may be found on line. Couldn't say when this legislation will come into force, but it will.

As before good luck to the OP, but in life there a few simple truths -you get what you pay for.

MG01, do you know where there is a lists of qualified RIAI architects, preferably with links to their relevant websites / portfolio.

Hopefully I am just missing it but I find it odd that the RIAI would not have a directory of members with links so facilitate the public and promote their members.

To my knowledge there's a section in the Golden Pages, however if you go to www.riai.ie you can search by area for RIAI architects. Have a look at their gallery pages too and the AAI Awards to see examples of peoples work.

We are in the process of building our second extension. The first time we used an architect who cost a fortune but was useful in that we had a lousy builder and ended up sacking him on her advice!

This time we used an architectural technician, as like you we already had a good idea what we wanted. He got us through the planning permission stage and prepared the plans for tendering. On his advice we also consulted a structural engineer as there were a couple of tricky issues to resolve (though our builder this time is so good we hardly need him).

Friends have recently completed a similar (large) extension to ours and paid their architect €12,000 to design, submit and supervise. We paid our man €1,500 and the engineer will cost about €2,000. Our builder needs minimal supervision and we're on site a lot anyway as we work from home.

So I agree with the poster above who suggested using a technician. We're very happy.

I understand that getting the Certificate of Compliance/Exemption with Planning Permission/ Building Regulations is one of the major issues to be addressed. If your technician cannot do it ( as in, if their Certs. are unacceptable to a Lending Institution) you should re-consider the position.

It used to be the case that people ( normally newly qualified hungry for work) would certify other peoples work but not any more.

mf

Who can give Opinions of compliance - do you need to be a member of the RIAI?

slightly off subject but the last couple of years around May time the architects did a special day where for a fixed price, ie Eu50-100 (sorry lost the mail about it), they could consult with people, and all money raised went to Simon community.
Perhaps worth checking if this is taken place in 2007 (did a quick google but couldn't find anything).
if it does take place, it books out fairly quickly, but worth doing all your investigation, get plans drawn, then run them by an architect!

Who can give Opinions of compliance - do you need to be a member of the RIAI?

A Chartered Structural Engineer can give Opinion On Compliance Cert for Building Regulations where an Architect is involved (IEI Form BR SE 9101) or OOCC for combined Building Regs/Planning Permission where Engineer is lead consultant (IEI Form BR SE 9202). Similarly, an Architect can provide these but they may be slight differences in the forms they use.

Agree with MG01 that the title of "Architect" is not protected and the easy way around this is to use a Chartered Architect. That title IS protected, just as the 'Chartered Engineer' title is. 100% also agree with "you get what you pay for".

OP, you may be able to get a technician but they will not legally be able to sign off. Why not try to get an Architect on Engineer at a fixed fee?