Planning - To confirm approval is not required?

tufty1

Morning, we're doing a small single storey extension to the rear of our property. I've been reading all the local council building regulations and whatever form our extension finally takes, we will be making sure it does not need planning approval.
My questions are:
Do we need to tell the council that we are doing the works at all?
Do we need confirmation from the council that planning approval is not required?
As its a domestic extension and will be within the planning exception requirements, do we still need to lodge a commencement notice?
Thanks

I would say yes to the first two - just to be safe - and get it in writing.

Initially you can talk to the local council engineer - mine was approachable about this kind of thing, don't have to give your name if you don't want. Engineer should tell you 'in theory' whether permission is required - but you'll probably only get something in writing if you supply plans

Do we need to tell the council that we are doing the works at all?
no, as long as you are certain that you're work is exempt
Do we need confirmation from the council that planning approval is not required?
no, you'll need a cert when you sell though
As its a domestic extension and will be within the planning exception requirements, do we still need to lodge a commencement notice?
Thanks
no

The various planning leaflets are available at:

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PlanningLeaflets/

Probably PL5 is the relevant leaflet here to determine whether the work is exempt or not. These leaflets will also be available fromt he plannign office in your local authority. Other than that, KiwiJBob is correct.

J2K

Yes you do need to tell the council you are doing work on your house. It is called a "Commencement Notice" and is a letter stating that you are doing work on your house and includes contact details for yourself or your engineer etc. Include the date you will be starting work. NB Get a receipt for it from the council. If you don't you may not be able to get the house certified - which obviously can cause huge problems in the future.

A Commencement Notice is not required for your works if planning
permission is not required, you don't need to submit a Commencement
Notice for every ittle thing...hanging a door etc

the below is from Fingal's website