Planning stages - Solar panels etc.

August

We have just gone sale agreed on a site. We will be meeting the engineer next Monday to discuss plans and planning permission. We are making out a list now of everything we will need the house to have and I am just wondering about what I should be asking for. Are solar panels that expensive and what other possible heating methods could I have. Are there any other options I should be looking at to make the bills run cheaper for the future? Any info would be a great help.

Solar panels are reasonably expensive but will pay back for themselves in the medium term. I doubt you'll save alot of money long term but you will be helping the environment. Problem with solar panels is that the cost has gone up since the grant was introduced..

Typical thats there was an increase as soon as the grant came in!! Are there any other options out there.

Undersoil heating? or is that geothermal? there's a fair bit on the threads here that should give you ideas

Does anyone know if you have to mention in your planning notice the intention to install Solar panels on house / garage ?

My planning went in last week but didn't mention it on the paper notice

Does anyone know if you have to mention in your planning notice the intention to install Solar panels on house / garage ?

My planning went in last week but didn't mention it on the paper notice
Yes you do and do not assume that it will be granted.
Our application included solar panels and when we received our list of queries or requested changes one of the requests was that we submit a feasibility study on the use of solar panels in that area. We had applied for them on a south facing roof so we assumed that they wanted them removed from the application so that is what we did (on the advice of our architect).
We can not now say that we were refused permission for the panels but they still made sure that we did not get them.

Last edited:
That is really good news. I plan to incorporate as many carbon-neutral features as possible in a retirement property and the prospect of delays and/or revisions around this issue was daunting.

I also find this pleasing.
Now I have to decide if I am willing to displease my local planners and go ahead and install. It is a small town and I may need to get and extension put on.

Note that there are now grants available for renewable and sustainable energy sources in the home..

You can read more at

and also on the website of Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI).

As far as I know, products must be certified by the SEI as must the installer.

Perhaps someone on here has experience of applying for such a grant?

I got the grant for the solar panels recently - You have to apply for the grant before purchasing the solar panels - and you get the grant when the solar panels are working. The product and the installer have to be approved by SEI

cheers paddyh,

mind me asking if there were many hoops to jump through to get the grant?

Nop! Just get the form from the SEI website and fill it out and send it to SEI - You need the name of the product/installer you have chosen - The grant will be approved within 2-3 weeks - From once the product/installer is approved by SEI, the grant should be approved immediately

Hi Paddyh I'm the process of getting quotes for solar panels at the moment a 3msq one working out about €7,000 is this expensive or acceptable price also how long in your opinion would they take to pay for themselves? Can I ask what you paid? Should also mention that it is not a new build, thanks

I got the grant for the solar panels recently - You have to apply for the grant before purchasing the solar panels - and you get the grant when the solar panels are working. The product and the installer have to be approved by SEI

Paddy H, if you don't mind answering....... can you advise more details on what you have selected...

- tank size
- no of panels
- panel/vacuum tube
- which company & what was the deciding factor for you to select that one

reason I ask is that I am also investigating & it is difficult to decide as there are alot of palyers in the market.

ninsaga

Hi,

Relaxing in Florida at the moment (Honeymoon!) but here are some answers!

I went with Solaris in Macroom county Cork [broken link removed] - They install systems all over Ireland and I found them very good to deal with. I paid around 6300 for a 6.3 sq metre system - the week after the grant came out - unfortunately prices have gone up alot since then. I got a 300 litre tank. During the recent dry spell in Ireland before I got married the solar panels heated the 300 litres of water to around 80 85 degrees most days - those days it was around 20 degrees outside. When the sun set the water cooled about 1 degree an hour so it would normally be around 65 degrees in the morning for showers etc. I would strongly recommend solar panels - they do take a few years to pay off - possibly up to 10 years. Unfortunately as I say the prices have gone away up since the grant came in - typical!

Hi All
Also looking at the solar water heating options
has anyone looked at a company called "surface power", they seem to do a solar panel system in kit format that you can buy and get your local plumber / electrican to install it, or if you are good with DIY you could even try it yourself ! . I dont think they qualify for the grant as they dont install the system but the prices seem fairly good providing the installation cost would not be too high.
They do a system that can work with underfloor heating and they also do a wind powered immersion which would compansate in the winter when the solar panels would be less effictive.
i would like to know if anyone has used there system or compaired them to any other companys?

Thanks PaddyH - have been in touch with Solaris & received a quote. AM still unsure on how well panels will perform on overcast days. Are your panels fully south facing? Any reason why you went with panels as opposed to vacuum tubes?

F.D - the surface power outfit do offer vacuum tubes & likewise does look pretty good. I can;t vouch for it but they have an offer that for €1k extra when you but the solar heating system that you can get a wind turbine that heats the water tank same as your immersion heater does.

ninsaga

PaddyH thanks for taking the time to reply especially when your on your honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!hope you enjoy the rest of your honeymoon.