Planning - Roof Style

jalla

I have planning in for a two story house with "hipped roof". However, I have been told that the hipped roof will not be accepted and I will be asked to change it to "full gables walls and roof". To be honest the hipped design looks far better than the full gable and everyone I have shown the plans to agrees

I will get a chance to argue the case...... question is what should I say ? What would influence the planner to change his mind ?

In the local area there are bungalows with full gable, while some other houses have hipped roof.

Please help, we really have our hearts set on the hipped design.

Thanks,

J

Could you provide the planner with a mock-up of the house with hipped roof? I know of someone who got their plans accepted in this way.

Never thought of that ....

How quickly could it be done ? How much would it cost ? Can you recommend anyone ?

Thanks,

J

jalla,
no idea really on any of the above as I've never had to go down that route. Maybe your architect would be able to advise?
Alternatively, I'm sure someone else here will come up with a suggestion.
Best of luck!

currently going through the planning process. Building a two storey. Got the architect to do up the plans with spanish style gables as that was what we wanted. I arranged a pre-planning meeting to go through the ideas with the planner but he said we would need full gables as anything else wasn't in keeping with a traditional country house. Using the same logic he also said we couldnt have bay windows, so now the front of our house will have 9 windows. And we have to put in a porch! Doesnt know if he would allow a conservatory on the side of the house either as traditional country house wouldnt have had one!

Very frustrating!

Same issue here.....

I really find it hard to understand, becasue everyone says that our roof design is much nicer than the full gable.

The other issue is that I see some other houses locally with hip gable. Has anyone else every challenged this, and what arguement did you use ?

Thanks,

J

If you mean a hipped gable your planner is right- they look bloody awful and are not in keeping with traditional roof forms. Otherwise I'd suggest you look at neighbouring dwellings and see what they've done, especially older houses with traditional detailing. If you can produce photographic evidence with OS maps indicating location you could make a good case for what you want to do. But as a first port of call I'd advise anyone thinking of building in our countryside to buy a copy of Cork County Council's book: "Building a new dwelling in the countryside"- it should be required reading for all new home builders and it only costs about €25 (a glossy "interiors" or "self build" magazine will cost €6 and is disposable). Planning controls are essential, even if we don't always agree with them- pretty much like any other laws in civilised society.

BTW you can actually download the Cork book. I have it on .pdf if anyone wants a copy. PM me.

J

Cork Co. Council's Cork Rural Design Guide: Building a New House in the Countryside can be accessed online at the Cork Co Co website [broken link removed]. Warning - very slow download because lots of photos etc.

Carpenter said:
Planning controls are essential, even if we don't always agree with them- pretty much like any other laws in civilised society.

While i agree there must be control there has to be consistency. i recently got planning in my father land in Mayo after a 4 year battle.The site is in a 'designated' area. The site on the 'right' side of the road for sea view is in between 2 houses already built and all i wanted a traditional style house with high gable roof. I wanted to make it a easy as possible to get permission. I got it eventually but i could not put veluxs to the front of the roof. But 3 miles away there are 2 storey house, dormers, high pitch returned gabled, swiss style roofs, anything goes. it can be very frustrating

While I accept that there is a need for planning controls I fail to understand why housing in rural areas must in so many cases be in keeping with other houses in the area - roof type and slate/tile colour, window sizes etc. I'm disappointed that more contemporary styled homes with large glazing areas, flat roofs etc. are rarely to be found in these rural and 'sensitive' areas. Isn't time that we looked ahead instead of back all the time. Contrast can be beautiful also. Wouldn't builders of times gone past have built houses with larger windows if the glazing was available at the time? Is anybody getting tired of the bungalow with concrete barges and a few dormers?

To address the original question why not take a few pics of similarly styled roofs to your in the area you are building. I'd be cautious about preplanning. The advantage is that you can get a feel for what the planner is likely to accept or reject but the disadvantage is that a planner may more easily advise against a particular roof type whereas he/she may accept the application if there had been no preplanning.

I wouldn't favour submitting a different roof style to what you intend building. I heard they have enforcement officers checking some builds these days and so could prove costly.

Back