Planning requirements for garage

deem

we have bought a new house in westmeath, and want to build a garage in the garden, I know we wouldnt need planning for a garden shed, but want to build a brick garage. does any one know if we need planning for this, how big can we build without. any info would be appreciated

you can build a garage that is up to 25 square metres in size without planning permission.if you want i could e mail you my garage plan.i didnt build it,it seemed too small.
just e-mail me satumashirt611@msn.com and ill send it on.

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:
  • Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)
  • Converting a garage attached to the rear or side of the house to domestic use so long as it has a floor area of less than 40 square metres. Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed four metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or three metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses.

So heres a question,

can you build an extension of less than 40m2 to the rear of the house as well as a garage of under 25m2. I am building a new house but havent included plans for a garage, or a conservatory in my planning application but would like to build them now!!

Salmon - i'd check with the architect - your in a different situation because your house hasn't been completed yet - you may have to comply with your planning permission in order for the council to signoff on your build as matching what they granted permission for - i presume they will be inspecting the site/development on completion.

Yeah,

Hadnt thought of that to be honest! I would like to get the conservatory and shed in asap, I'll have to look into this one a little further!

Back