Planning required?

Christy

I have converted a garage in my house into a playroom. I put in windows where there were doors, other than that no change was made to the exterior, should I have got planning permission?

Also I put in a velux window to the back of the house, would this have required planning permission?

Thanks

Christy

No need for PP for the velux windows on the back of the house - as they do not overlook anyone / do not change the front of the house. Garage sounds OK. You can phone your local authority and ask them if what you're 'planning' to do is OK. They can usually answer you there and then.

Check the Planning & Development Regulations 2001 (as amended)- Exempted Development- available online and also to view at the Planning Department of your Local Authority.

Alternatively, seek a Section 5 Delaration from the Local Authority and they will inspect and prepare a report (fee 80 euro i think)

An architect, surveyor, engineer etc will also be able to advise.

Christy, I did something similar and was told by planning dept that planning was not needed as not building out from the facade - though the facade was changing.

Changing the front facade of the a house does require planning permission. However, garage conversions are exempt. I would advise ringing your local planning office and asking for the details of these rules.
You need to ensure that when you sell your house that the work done was exempt

If you put in the velux window so that you could have rooms upstairs that will be used as habitable rooms (bed rooms) then you should make sure that the velux windows comply with the fire regs and you'd need planning permission / retention planning.