Planning Query - Teminology!

footsteps

A house beside us was recently demolished and is now being rebuilt.

I looked up the planning application as I was a little surprised that they got planning to completely knock the old house.
On the online planning under 'propsed development' it reads: "To carry out alterations to existing dwelling house at"
Surely that means that the original house should not have been knocked?

It would be useful to know what the next few sentences in the grant say too. I am acting in a neighbours disoute where the other side virtually demolished the house, clearly in contravention of the planning although they have said that it was necessitated by the discovery of substandard construction of the original walls.

I would get on to the planning department of your local authority, they take such breaches fairly seriously.

That is all is says on the online planning it just gives the address of the property.
WIll phone the county council and see what they say!

You do have the option of issuing your own proceedings under the 2000 Act but that is fairly costly and I would try and put the onus on the LA.

If it has already been demolished, it seems to me that there is little to be achieved at this stage other than to ensure that the replacement structure is built in compliance with planning.

The planning authority can only deliver a slap on the wrist.

Not so.

The authorities have started taking the kid gloves off. If it an old important building it may be ordered to be rebuilt.

My source is Wikipedia below but It's a well known case and was in the national Newspapers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_and_Preservation_in_Dublin