Planning permission query

Brianios

Hi,
Just wondering would anyone know would we need PP to remove wood from front of house (Tudor type batons) and have it dashed? The estate we live in is made up of about 6 different house types. Our house is black wood and white skim. Some houses have had theirs dashed, painted grey, cream etc. So not all houses look same anymore. (30year old estate).
We have a pretty fussy neighbour so would like to possibly know before we walk ourselves into a complaint.
Thanks

Semis or detached? Did any of the other houses require planning permission before changing?

If you have a Residents' Association they might be able to give advice. If they have been around for any length of time they may have come across this problem in the past.

Semis or detached? Did any of the other houses require planning permission before changing?
Hi thanks I'm not sure. Was trying to avoid asking as I don't know the people and didn't want them to think I was coming at them over it. I might just ask I suppose :)

If you have a Residents' Association they might be able to give advice. If they have been around for any length of time they may have come across this problem in the past.
No residents association unfortunately. Thanks for the response.

This is loosely covered in the Planning and Development Act.

Planning and Development Act (2000) - PART I - Preliminary and General - Exempted development 4.
"(h) development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;"

Now I will say the above is completely open to interpretation, but I would be of the view the change you are suggesting would fall neatly into the above exemption. This is however not prescribed in any further detail in the Planning and Development Regulations, and any trigger happy planner in the Local Authority could take another view on what you are doing and look for a retention application or for you to restore the house to its original condition.

Back