Planning permission on old ruin

DylanP121

What are the general rules regarding planning permission on an old ruin?
i remember the property about 20 years ago and even back then it had no roof and just walls standing. Now the walls are collapsed as well and not much of it left. I’m not sure when it was last occupied as a home- possibly 50 years ago? Maybe even more.

I might be able to purchase the land it is on and I was wondering would planning permission be granted to rebuild a dwelling on the same spot as there was once an old house there? Or would they look badly upon it and say no chance?

thanks
DylanP

All development plans from County/ city council will have a section. Generally depends on zoning and ‘local need’. Obviously you are starting from scratch - it’s not renovation of a habitable dwelling. So basically - it’s a blank site and whatever rules might apply will be the criteria ...

Full planning permission will be required to bring a derelict structure back into use. Depending on your LA, they may even have it on their Derelict Sites list, the public can view that list (more).

Good point above on checking what's there isn't protected too. If it isn't, as pointed out by cmalone, you're effectively starting from scratch and whatever you can build will be dictated by the local development plan and current building regulations.

I've often wondered about this. What exactly is the definition of a habitable dwelling? And could it be "stretched" a bit?

I've often wondered about this. What exactly is the definition of a habitable dwelling? And could it be "stretched" a bit?

Habitable attracts property tax. Most ruins and properties approaching ruin status will have been declared uninhabitable so a to avoid paying this. Revenue guidance here.

An extra complication with this property is that it used to share a road with another property years ago- I’m not aure when this is as the road now only runs to the first property. The rest of the road (or track) has disappeared. I think it probably has not been in use since the house was abandoned and I’m not sure when that was- possibly 70 years ago but also possibly even longer. I would guess it is longer than that.

So if I purchase the first property, road and all.... I could provide entry to this derelict property as I would own the land- is this something the council would turn their noses at?

Back