Planning Permission newbie

redape

Hi, I have absolutely no experience with planning permission and self build issues at all but am seriously thinking about going down that route so asking for advice rom square 1! How likely is it that permission would be granted for PPR on nice bits of land like this ?!

Cheers.

First step is to check the local authortiy's development plan with regards to zoning - this will be available at their office for inspection, may also be online. Wicklow is notoriously difficult for 'outsiders' i.e. thhose not living or from Wicklow to get Planning Permission. This might be reflected in the low price, €52k is very cheap for 1.3 acres.

As the site is located beside a lake it would also be worth checking if it's within a designated scenic area (the county development plan would list these areas) - this might affect the size and design of any house on the site that the council would allow. When making a planning application you would have to clearly show that there is no risk of pollution to the lake (if using septic tank or similar).

Thanks... I'll probably be starting on this next March so that piece of land is more by way of an example (looks nice though!).

Autioneers are not fools and if that plot of land is being sold for €52,000 then I would think you haven't a snowballs chance in hell with planning.

However, planning decisions never cease to amaze me so it would be worth at least a visit to the local planning office or maybe submit a pre planning enquiry

Sounds very very cheap. I think if you could get p.p on that site the price would be closer to €520,000...

Ridiculously cheap for the area - can't understand the price given the location and the fact that it's a lakeside plot. Even taking into account the fact that local needs requirement will mean that it's only of interest to a limited amount of people, the price is still very much on the low side (maybe a mistake?)

I've seen sites in Wicklow go for over 200k, e.g.

[broken link removed]

From what I know, it's pretty hard to get PP in Wicklow - I think Local Needs is pretty much in force around the county (someone from the area can probably confirm this) so bear this in mind before going too far..

Re: Planning meetings

Hi All

I would advise antbody to go for a pre- p;anning meeting you get a real feel of what its all about and you also get to put a face to the name.
Now my problem is that we have got a further information request - but we were expecting this because the engineer put in the planning app so that the obvious would be looked for - because we are in a scenic area however we have a problem with rock we only have 2 foot of soil aswell as this we are exposed. We are building a trad style house because we thought this may be easier to get planning for on this lovely site and of course we like it also.
However I requested another meeting with the planner to discuss all the further info and to make sure he knows we are not speculators (we farm in the area but the land is landlocked). But got a very long letter back saying he cant meet us - hes to busy. Meanwhile we have spent 6000 almost on the planning because of problems with the site (which we are buying subject to planning) I havent replied to the letter - What should we do any suggestions greatly appreciated
J